Women with stage I primary mucinous epithelial ovarian carcinoma (mEOC) who underwent uterus-preserving surgery did not have worse survival than women who did not undergo such a procedure, a retrospective study found. The study results were recently reported in the International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics.

By reviewing records of the Tokai Ovarian Tumor Study Group, which included women who underwent surgery for mEOC between January 1, 1986, and March 31, 2017, study researchers identified 185 women with stage I mEOC, 56 of whom (30.3%) underwent uterus-preserving surgery.

The average age of the women was 47.6 years (range, 12-87 years), and approximately half of the women (50.8%) had FIGO stage IA and the remaining half (49.2%) had FIGO stages IB or IC.

Women who underwent uterus-preserving surgery had similar overall survival (P =.776) and recurrence-free survival (P =.683) as women who did not undergo uterus-preserving surgery, according to an analysis adjusted for propensity scores.


Continue Reading

Related Articles

Survival outcomes also did not significantly differ across the 3 age groups assessed — 45 years or younger, 45 to 64 years, and 65 years or older — leading the study authors to conclude that uterus-preserving surgery is “one of the most beneficial surgical procedures for young women of reproductive age.”

“The present findings challenge the rationale of using conventional standard surgery for the treatment of all histologic types of EOC,” the study authors wrote. “The findings indicate that UPS [uterus-preserving surgery] may be a feasible surgical option for the treatment of Stage I primary mEOC.”

Reference

Yoshihara M, Kajiyama H, Tamauchi S, et al. Impact of uterus-preserving surgery on Stage I primary mucinous epithelial ovarian carcinoma: A multi-institutional study with propensity score-weighted analysis [published online May 29, 2020]. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. doi: 10.1002/ijgo.13244