In regard to endometrial cancer, nearly 50,000 women were diagnosed last year and approximately 8,000 will not survive the disease this year.8 It’s a difficult-to-diagnose disease affecting women, mostly of postmenopausal age.
Approximately 21,980 women in the United States were diagnosed with ovarian cancer in 2013 and roughly 14,270 died from this disease last year, according to Cancer.Net, a patient site of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO).9 Survival rates are good, provided that the cancer is caught early and hasn’t metastasized.
RELATED: New Research Further Illuminates Role of Oral Contraceptives in Ovarian Cancer Prevention
The overall 1-year survival rate for ovarian cancer is 75%. “The overall 5-year survival rate is 44%, but this varies widely depending on the extent (stage) of the cancer. If the cancer is diagnosed and treated before it has spread outside the ovaries, the 5-year survival rate is 92%. If the cancer has spread to the surrounding organs or tissue (regional spread), the 5-year survival rate is 72%. If the cancer has spread to parts of the body far away from the ovary (distant spread), the 5-year survival rate is 27%.”
The long-term effects of this ruling remain to be seen, but with continued education of lawmakers, medical staff, and patients, the hope is that the influence of medical facts will prevail.
As Ms. Balas reminds us, “Ovarian cancer is one of the deadliest cancers for women, in part, because there is no effective early detection test.” And because of that, prevention is paramount.
*Has more than 50% of the value of its outstanding stock owned (directly or indirectly) by 5 or fewer individuals at any time during the last half of the tax year; and is not a personal service corporation.1
- Internal Revenue Service. Entities. http://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources/Tools-&-FAQs/FAQs-for-Individuals/Frequently-Asked-Tax-Questions-&-Answers/Small-Business,-Self-Employed,-Other-Business/Entities/Entities-5. Updated January 1, 2014. Accessed July 21, 2014.
- Burwell v. Hobby Lobby Stores, Inc. SCOTUS Blog. http://www.scotusblog.com/case-files/cases/sebelius-v-hobby-lobby-stores-inc/. Accessed July 11, 2014.
- Ovarian Cancer National Alliance. Supreme Court Strikes Provision of Health Reform Law that Helps Prevent Ovarian Cancer. http://www.ovariancancer.org/wp-content/uploads/6.30.14-SCOTUS-birth-control-release.pdf. Updated June 30, 2014. Accessed July 21, 2014.
- Counsel for Amici Curiae. Brief of Amici Curiae the Ovarian Cancer National Alliance and Its Partner Members in Support of the Government. http://www.ovariancancer.org/wp-content/uploads/SCOTUS-Amicus-Brief.pdf. Updated June 30, 2014. Accessed July 21, 2014.
- Donnez J1, Tatarchuk TF, Bouchard P, et al. Ulipristal acetate versus placebo for fibroid treatment before surgery. N Engl J Med. 2012;366(5):409-420.
- Donnez J, Vázquez F, Tomaszewski J, et al. Long-term treatment of uterine fibroids with ulipristal acetate. Fertil Steril. 2014:101(6);1565-1573.
- Mayo Clinic. Diseases and conditions: Endometriosis. Complications. http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/endometriosis/basics/complications/con-20013968. Updated April 2, 2013. Accessed July 11, 2014.
- National Cancer Institute. Endometrial Cancer Screening (PDQ®). http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/screening/endometrial/HealthProfessional/page2. Updated February 26, 2014. Accessed July 12, 2014.
- Ovarian Cancer Statistics. Cancer.Net. http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/ovarian-cancer/statistics. Updated March 6, 2014. Accessed July 11, 2014.