Gemcitabine-oxaliplatin or 5-fluourouracil-oxaliplatin combinations are promising chemotherapy regimens in metastatic pulmonary carcinoid tumors, according to a study published in Lung Cancer.1

In a retrospective study, investigators analyzed the efficacy of gemcitabine-oxaliplatin (GEMOX) or 5-fluorouracil-oxaliplatin (FOLFOX) in the treatment of metastatic pulmonary carcinoid tumors.

The study included 45 patients, whose carcinoids were classified as typical (19%), atypical (24%), or not otherwise specified (24%) according to the World Health Organization criteria. A total of 38% of patients had synchronous disease and 62% had metachronous metastatic disease. Seventy-nine patients had progressive disease prior to chemotherapy initiation.

Continue Reading

Twenty-four patients received gemcitabine 1000 mg/m2 and oxaliplatin 100 mg/m2 every 2 weeks and 21 patients received 5-fluourouracil (400 mg/m2 in bolus injection) and 5-fluorouracil (2400 mg/m2 in a 46-hour infusion) as well as oxaliplatin 85 mg/m2 every 2 weeks.

Twenty percent of patients received first-line oxaliplatin-based treatment , 33% received it as second-line treatment, and 47% received it as post-second-line systemic therapy. The median number of cycles completed was 8.

In regard to safety, 20% of patients stopped treatment before 8 cycles due to treatment toxicity.

Results showed that 20% of patients had a partial response, 64% of patients had stable disease. Median progression-free survival was 15 months and median overall survival was 34 months.

RELATED: Negative Low-dose CT Prevalence Screening Linked With Lower Lung Cancer-specific Mortality

The authors noted that there was “no significant difference” observed in response and progression-free survival between the 2 regimens.


  1. Walter T, Planchard D, Bouledrak K, et al. Evaluation of the combination of oxaliplatin and 5-fluourouracil or gemcitabine in patients with sporadic metastatic pulmonary carcinoid tumors [article in press]. Lung Cancer. doi: 10.1016/j.lungcan.2016.03.018.