Bone pain, peripheral neuropathy, and nausea and vomiting are commonly associated with cancer and cancer treatment therapy. Such side effects frequently impair the patient’s quality of life and may interfere with provision of appropriate therapy.4,10,16 Currently utilized medications for cancer-related pain and peripheral neuropathy are largely ineffective, and related side effects may preclude use in certain patients.4,11 While effective agents have become available for the treatment of acute CINV, delayed nausea and vomiting remains a concern.16 As a result, various new agents have recently been approved for, or are under investigation for, the treatment of cancer-related pain, CIPN and CINV.
- Paice JA, Ferrell B. The management of cancer pain. CA Cancer J Clin. 2011;61(3):157-182.
- Naleschinski D, Baron R, Miaskowski C. Identification and treatment of neuropathic pain in patients with cancer. Pain: Clinical Updates (IASP). 2012;2:1-5.
- Erb CH. CIPN: Treatment preservation and prevention are the goals. Oncology Nurse Advisor. http://media.oncologynurseadvisor.com/documents/32/cepage-1011-r_7949.pdf. Accessed April 11, 2012.
- Urch CE. Current and potential treatment for cancer-induced bone pain. American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine (AAHPM) Bulletin. 2004;5(4):1-14.
- Van der Poel HG. Radionuclide treatment in metastasized prostate cancer. European Association of Urology and European Board of Urology. 2007;5(update series):113-125.
- Xgeva [package insert]. Thousand Oaks, CA: Amgen, Inc.; 2010.
- Body JJ, Facon T, Coleman RE, et al. A study of the biological receptor activator of nuclear factor-κB ligand inhibitor, denosumab, in patients with multiple myeloma or bone metastases from breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12(4):1221-1228.
- First Presentation of Results from a Pivotal, Phase 3 Head-to-Head Denosumab Bone Metastases Advanced Prostate Cancer Trial. First Integrated Analysis from Two Phase 3 Head-to-Head Denosumab Trials in Advanced Cancer Patients (Breast Cancer and Solid Tumors including Multiple Myeloma). First Presentations of Phase 2 Data from AMG 479 in Pancreatic Cancer and AMG 386 in Ovarian Cancer. Amgen Press Release Detail. http://wwwext.amgen.com/media/media_pr_detail.jsp?year=2010&releaseID=1429701. Accessed April 12, 2012.
- Vallet S, Raje N. Bone anabolic agents for the treatment of multiple myeloma. Cancer Microenviron. 2011;4(3):339-349.
- Stubblefield MD, Burstein HJ, Burton AW, et al. NCCN task force report: Management of neuropathy in cancer. J Ntl Compr Canc Netw. 2009;7(suppl 5):S1-26.
- Nightingale S. The neuropathic pain market. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2012;11(2):101-102.
- AmiKet. Epicept. http://ceplenecom.siteprotect.net/epicept/product-and-pipeline?product=epicept. Accessed April 12, 2012.
- Brower V. New pain drugs in pipeline, but challenges to usage remain. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2012;104(7):503-505.
- Sativex—Investigational cannabis-based treatment for pain and multiple sclerosis. http://www.drugdevelopment-technology.com/projects/sativex/. Accessed April 13, 2012.
- DARA’s KRN5500 looking attractive. Zacks Investment Research. http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/59284/DARA’s+KRN5500+Looking+
Attractive. Accessed April 13, 2012.
- Implications of recent guideline updates on the management of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. The Oncology Pharmacist. 2010;3(8):10-17. http://www.theoncologypharmacist.com/sites/theoncologypharmacist.com/files/P10060.pdf. Accessed April 13, 2012.
- EUR-1025. Aptalis Pharmaceutical Technologies. http://www.aptalispharmaceuticaltechnologies.com/development_1025.html. Accessed April 13, 2012.
- Grous JJ, Riegel E, Gabrail N, et al. Phase III study of sustained release granisetron (APF530) compared to palonosetron for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV). [abstract 9627]. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27:15s (suppl).
- McDonald A. AP Pharma’s APF530 poised to return to FDA review. Seeking Alpha. http://seekingalpha.com/article/315139-ap-pharma-s-apf530-poised-to-return-to-fda-review. Accessed April 13, 2012.
- Rolapitant. Tesaro. http://tesarobio.com/pipeline/. Accessed April 13, 2012.
- Helsinn healthcare licenses a supportive care product from Roche. The Free Library. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Helsinn+Healthcare+Licenses+a+
Supportive+Care+Product+From+Roche.-a0132895985. Accessed April 13, 2012.
- Helsinn commences netupitant/palonosetron phase III combination study in CINV. News Medical. http://www.news-medical.net/news/20110923/Helsinn-commences-NetupitantPalonosetron-Phase-III-combination-study-in-CINV.aspx. Accessed April 13, 2012.