1. Clinicaltrials.gov. Everolimus in combination with exemestane in the treatment of postmenopausal women with estrogen receptor positive locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer who are refractory to letrozole or anastrozole (BOLERO 2). Available at: http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT00863655. Accessed June 20, 2012.
2. Piccart-Gebhart M, Noguchi S, Pritchard KI, et al. Everolimus for postmenopausal women with advanced breast cancer: Updated results of the BOLERO-2 phase III trial. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30(suppl; abstr 559).
3. Beck JT, Rugo HS, Burris HA, et al. BOLERO-2: Health-related quality-of-life in metastatic breast cancer patients treated with everolimus and exemestane versus exemestane. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30(suppl; abstr 539).
4. Noguchi S, Masuda N, Ito Y, et al. BOLERO-2: Everolimus with exemestane versus exemestane alone in Asian patients with HER2-negative, hormone receptor-positive breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30(suppl; abstr 540).
5. Pritchard KI, Burris HA, Rugo HS, et al. Safety of everolimus for women over 65 years of age with advanced breast cancer (BC): 12.5-mo follow-up of BOLERO-2. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30(suppl; abstr 551).
6. Miller TW, Hennessy BT, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, et al. Hyperactivation of phosphatidylinositol-3 kinase promotes escape from hormone dependence in estrogen receptor-positive human breast cancer. J Clin Invest. 2010;120(7):2406-2413.
7. Boulay A, Rudloff J, Ye J, et al. Dual inhibition of mTOR and estrogen receptor signaling in vitro induces cell death in models of breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2005;11(14):5319-5328.
8. Baselga J, Semiglazov V, van Dam P, et al. Phase II randomized study of neoadjuvant everolimus plus letrozole compared with placebo plus letrozole in patients with estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer. J Clin Oncol. 2009;27(16):2630-2637.
9. Baselga J, Campone M, Piccart M, et al. Everolimus in postmenopausal hormone-receptor–positive advanced breast cancer. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:520-529.
10. Motzer RJ, Escudier B, Oudard S, et al. Phase 3 trial of everolimus for metastatic renal cell carcinoma: final results and analysis of prognostic factors. Cancer. 2010;116(18):4256-4265.
11. Xie HG, Kim RB, Wood AJ, Stein CM. Molecular basis of ethnic differences in drug disposition and response. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2001;41:815-850.
12. Sekine I, Yamamoto N, Nishio K, Saijo N. Emerging ethnic differences in lung cancer therapy. Br J Cancer. 2008;99(11):1757-1762.
13. Smith BD, Jiang J, McLaughlin SS, et al. Improvement in breast cancer outcomes over time: are older women missing out? J Clin Oncol. 2011;29(35):4647-4653.
14. Muss HB, Busby-Whitehead. Older women with breast cancer: slow progress, great opportunity, now is the time. J. J Clin Oncol. 2011;29(35):4608-4610.
HOW TO TAKE THE POST-TEST: To obtain CME credit, please click here after reading the article to take the post-test on myCME.com.