Neurosurgery Procedures & Complications
Hospitalists will likely be increasingly responsible for the co-management of neurosurgical patients and should be familiar with the most common neurosurgical procedures and managing potential medical complications.
II. Identify the Goal Behavior.
III. Describe a Step-by-Step approach/method to this problem.
Step 1: Determine Revised Cardiac Risk Index (RCRI) score
Step 2: Assess patient's functional exercise capacity
Spinal Decompression and Fusion
IV. Common Pitfalls.
Anticoagulation and antiplatelet therapy:
- Discuss with neurosurgeon before starting anything that could increase bleeding risk
Volume management in patients with subarachnoid hemorrhages:
- Balancing risk of vasospasm with cardiopulmonary status
- Titrating BP meds too fast
Long-term steroid use:
- GI prophylaxis, glycemic control, counseling on muscle wasting/confusion/increased bleeding risk
V. National Standards, Core Indicators and Quality Measures.
No national standards/benchmarks established yet.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Plastics and Cancer
- Cabozantinib Shows Promising Activity in Osteosarcoma and Ewing Sarcoma
- Real-World Study Shows High Response Rates to T-VEC in Early Metastatic Melanoma
- Using ctDNA to Predict Cancer Recurrence and Guide Therapy Selection
- Atezolizumab and Nab-Paclitaxel Prolonged PFS in Metastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer
- Infections in Primary Immune Thrombocytopenia Associated With Low Platelet Count
- Expert Panel Provides Recommendations for Running Trials on Intratumoral Immunotherapy
- Large Acute Myeloid Leukemia Dataset Could Help Identify Targeted Treatments
- Treatment of H. pylori Increased Platelet Count in ITP
- Reclassification of Variants of Uncertain Significance: A Q&A With Theodora Ross MD, PhD