Generic Name and Formulations:
Rabies vaccine 2.5Units/mL; grown in human diploid cell cultures (inactivated whole virus); inj.
Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Indications for IMOVAX:
Preexposure immunization and postexposure treatment of rabies.
Adults and Children:
Preexposure: 3 inj of 1mL IM each on day 0, 7, and either day 21 or 28. Booster doses: 1mL every 2 yrs (see literature). Postexposure treatment: a 5 dose regimen of 1mL IM given on days 0, 3, 7, 14, 28 or 30 (WHO or ACIP recommendations), and 90 (give 1st dose with rabies immune globulin). If previously immunized against rabies, only 2 doses are given, immediately after exposure, and 3 days later (no rabies immune globulin needed).
Postpone preexposure immunization during acute febrile illness or infection. Immunocompromised: may get suboptimal response (monitor titers). Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Immunosuppressants: may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions (pain, erythema, swelling), systemic reactions (nausea, headache, muscle aches, abdominal pain).
Single-dose vial (1mL)—1 (w. syringe and diluent)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Erdafitinib Granted FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for Urothelial Carcinoma
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma
- CLL: Venetoclax Plus Rituximab Improves 2-Year PFS
- Confronting Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Survival Outcomes
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma