Generic Name and Formulations:
Iron (as dextran complex) 50mg/mL; soln for IV or IM inj.
Indications for INFED:
Iron deficiency where oral therapy is unsatisfactory or impossible.
Adults and Children:
Give by IV or by deep IM (into upper outer quadrant of buttock only) inj. Administer 0.5mL test dose first; if no signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, may give full therapeutic dose. Iron deficiency anemia: determine total dose based on hemoglobin and body weight (see literature). Iron replacement for blood loss: Replacement iron (in mg) = blood loss (in mL) X hematocrit. Max daily doses: <5kg: 0.5mL (25mg), <10kg: 1mL (50mg), ≥10kg: 2mL (100mg).
Anemias not associated with iron deficiency.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, esp. in patients with history of drug allergies, asthma; have epinephrine available. Avoid large IV doses: higher incidence of adverse events. Severe hepatic impairment. Avoid during acute phase of infectious kidney disease. Dialysis. Cardiovascular disease. May reactivate quiescent rheumatoid arthritis. Neonates (avoid during first 4 months). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant ACE inhibitors may increase the risk for anaphylactic-type reactions. May falsely elevate serum bilirubin or decrease serum calcium levels.
See full labeling. Anaphylactic reactions (may be fatal; even if test dose was tolerated), cardiovascular events, pruritus, GI upset, arthralgia, arthritis, inj site reactions, others; possible IM inj site tumors, sepsis in neonates.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Confronting Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Survival Outcomes
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma