Generic Name and Formulations:
Cephalexin 250mg, 500mg, 750mg; caps.
Indications for KEFLEX:
Susceptible infections including otitis media, skin and skin structure, bone, respiratory or genitourinary tract.
1–4g/day in divided doses. Usual dose: 250mg every 6hrs. Strep pharyngitis, skin and skin structure, and uncomplicated cystitis (>15yrs of age): 500mg every 12hrs. Treat cystitis for 7–14 days. Max 4g/day.
25–50mg/kg per day in divided doses; max 100mg/kg per day. Otitis media: 75–100mg/kg per day in 4 divided doses. Strep pharyngitis (>1yr of age) or skin and skin structure: may give in 2 divided doses every 12hrs.
Penicillin or other allergy. Severe renal dysfunction. GI disease (esp. colitis). Discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiates metformin (monitor and adjust metformin dose). Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) Coomb's test or glucose test with Clinitest or Benedict's or Fehling's soln.
Diarrhea, other GI disturbances, dizziness, fatigue, headache, hypersensitivity reactions, itch; rare: blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes.
Caps 250mg, 500mg—20, 100; 750mg—50
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Managing Immune-Related Adverse Events
- PD-1/PD-L1 Inhibitors May Increase the Risk of Hyperprogressive Disease in NSCLC
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- "Impressive" CNS Responses With Osimertinib Compared With Standard EGFR-TKIs in Patients With CNS Metastases at Baseline
- Higher Doses of Image-Guided Neoadjuvant Radiation Therapy Found to Be Safe in Locally Advanced NSCLC: Study
- Supply Shortages of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Found to Spur Drug Rationing in Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Epacadostat and Pembrolizumab Combo Active in Relapsed NSCLC
- PD-1 Inhibitor Cemiplimab Shows Antitumor Activity in Relapsed NSCLC