An Elevated Value for Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG)
Confirmation of intrauterine pregnancy
Gestational trophoblastic disease Nongestational malignancies
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) tests can be performed using serum or urine.
Urine test is qualitative (yes/no).
Serum test can be qualitative or quantitative.
Serial quantitative measurements of hCG may be useful, especially in suspected ectopic pregnancy, where a low
Low levels of serial serum hCG may identify a spontaneous or threatened abortion.
An insufficient hCG decline after abortion indicates incomplete therapeutic or spontaneous abortion.
Gestational trophoblastic disease: hCG is abnormally high with a high ratio of free beta hCG to total hCG
hCG measurement may also be useful in the diagnosis, prognosis, and management of other tumors, such as testicular tumors.
hCG or a slow rise in the hCG in the absence of an intrauterine sac on ultrasonography suggests an ectopic pregnancy.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Daratumumab Combination: New Standard of Care in Transplant-Ineligible Multiple Myeloma
- Adjuvant Trastuzumab Emtansine Confers Improved Outcome in KATHERINE Trial
- Extension of Adjuvant Anastrozole Regimen to 10 Years Yields Higher DFS, but Not OS
- Changes in Renal Cell Carcinoma Pathologic Staging and Histologic Grading
- Study Identifies Patients With Breast Cancer Who Don't Benefit From Adjuvant Chemo
- Lower-Dose, Shorter-Duration Chemotherapy Regimens: Is This a Trend?
- CD19 CAR T-Cell Therapies: "Expect an Evolution"
- Hypofractionated WBI Found Noninferior to Conventionally Fractionated WBI
- Selinexor Trials Move Nuclear Suppressor Protein-Export Inhibition Closer to the Clinic for Multiple Myeloma
- Younger Breast Cancer Patients at Higher Risk for Osteoporosis