Elevated Hemoglobin or Hematocrit
Pt with true polycythemia with an increased red blood cell (RBC) mass.
Pt with a relative polycythemia and a normal RBC mass as a result of dehydration or another state producing a low plasma volume.
Polycythemia in which the RBC mass is high enough to impair blood flow.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Polycythemia vera, also known as primary polycythemia, is not secondary to any disorder.
Polycythemia from an underlying disorder (secondary polycythemia) is much more common than primary polycythemia.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Serum erythropoietin level is low in primary polycythemia, unlike secondary polycythemia, so the erythropoietin (EPO) level can be useful in separating primary and secondary polycythemia.
Strict criteria are required for the diagnosis of polycythemia vera: (A1 plus A2 plus any other A) or (A1 plus A2 plus any 2B) criteria:
Increased RBC mass by hemoglobin, hematocrit, or RBC number (A1)
Erythrocytosis is not secondary to another cause (A2)
Clonal cytogenetic abnormality other than the Philadelphia chromosome (A4)
Endogenous erythroid colony formation in vitro (A5)
Platelet count greater than 400,000/µL (B1)
WBC count greater than 12,000/µL (B2)
Panmyelosis on bone marrow biopsy (B3)
Low serum EPO (B4)
Bone marrow biopsy may be useful to determine if polycythemia vera is in a hypercellular phase with greater than 60% cellularity or in a hypocellular bone marrow with markedly increased reticulin fibers.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Moving Targets: Off-Label Prescribing of Targeted Therapies
- Conditional 10-Year Breast Cancer Recurrence Rates Decline Regardless of Subtype
- New Algorithm Improves Outcome Prediction for Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- Immunotherapy Combo in Head and Neck Cancer Shows Activity in Phase 2 Trial
- Trials, Collaboration Might Help Reduce Survival Disparities Between Community, Academic Cancer Centers
- Nutraceuticals/Supplements and Cancer Prevention: All Hype?
- Encorafenib Plus Binimetinib Offers a New Option for MEK+BRAF Inhibition
- Reclassification of Variants of Uncertain Significance: A Q&A With Theodora Ross MD, PhD
- POT1 Revealed as a Sarcoma Predisposition Gene
- Cabozantinib Shows Promising Activity in Osteosarcoma and Ewing Sarcoma
- Registration Trial to Look at HRAS-Directed Tipifarnib in HNSCC
- 1 in 5 Patients Readmitted Within 30 Days of Reconstruction Surgery for Head and Neck Cancer
- Treatment-Related Hyperprogression: Concerns Continue to Mount
- Activation-Induced Cytidine Deaminase Transcripts Linked To More Aggressive CLL
- Next-Generation Sequencing Helped Identify Pathways for Transformation of WM to DLBCL