Elevated Platelet Count
Essential thrombocythemia with platelet count typically greater than 600,000/µL
Reactive thrombocytosis from:
iron deficiency anemia
acute blood loss
rebound from marrow suppression or immune thrombocytopenia
Platelet counts greater than 1,000,000/µL are worrisome for acute thrombotic events.
Elevated platelet count with poorly functioning platelets does not present an increased risk for thrombosis.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Reactive thrombocytosis from a variety of causes is far more common than essential thrombocythemia (a chronic myeloproliferative disorder).
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Test that reveals any of the causes of reactive thrombocytosis previously noted are valuable.
Tests to confirm the presence of essential thrombocythemia include:
bone marrow biopsy to show an increase in the number of megakaryocytes
normal RBC mass to exclude polycythemia vera
platelet aggregation study showing a selective impaired aggregation response only to epinephrine suggests essential thrombocythemia
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Coffee and Cancer
- Upfront Next-Generation Sequencing Is Faster, More Cost Effective in Metastatic NSCLC
- In Melanoma, Older Adults Could Benefit More From Treatment With PD-1 Inhibitors
- Pembrolizumab FDA-Approved for the Treatment of Advanced Cervical Cancer
- Understanding Telomerase: Higher Quality Images Give Insight Into Developing New Agents for Inhibition
- High Tissue Tumor Mutational Burden May Be Predictive of Improved Immunotherapy Efficacy
- Adding Oxaliplatin to Capecitabine-Based Chemotherapy, Radiation May Not Improve Survival in Rectal Cancer
- Liquid Biopsies and Cancer Detection: New Test Assesses Levels of Circulating Proteins for Early-Stage Diagnosis
- Vigorous Exercise Improved Life Expectancy for Adult Survivors of Childhood Cancers
- R-THP-COP a New Therapeutic Alternative for Diffuse Large B Cell Lymphoma