Elevated Serum Amylase and/or Serum Lipase
Pancreatic carcinoma is associated with a very short life span following diagnosis.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Acute pancreatitis is the most common of the disorders listed.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests to assess alcohol intake and triglyceride levels are useful.
Most common causes include alcohol abuse and gallstones.
Less common causes include hypertriglyceridemia, infections, and trauma to pancreas.
Bentiromide test is a noninvasive test to assess pancreatic function in chronic pancreatitis, based on the hydrolysis by chymotrypsin of an orally administered synthetic peptide.
CA 19-9 may be useful to monitor response to therapy in patients with pancreatic cancer, but it is not specific to pancreatic cancer.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Pembrolizumab and Chemotherapy Combination Significantly Improves PFS in NSCLC
- Daratumumab and Elotuzumab: Potential mAb Therapies for Multiple Myeloma
- Sex Hormone Levels Significantly Affect Treatment-Free Survival in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Pediatric CML: Life-Long Considerations With TKI Therapy
- Reducing Dose Intensity May Be Associated with Shortened PFS in Waldenstrom Macroglobulinemia
- Nelarabine May Improve Disease-Free Survival in Pediatric and Young Adult T-cell ALL
- Lung Cancer Screening Rates Inadequate in United States Despite USPSTF Recommendations
- Can Oncolytic Viruses Improve Immunotherapies?
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Compared With Acupuncture for Insomnia in Cancer Survivors
- CYCORE System May Improve Radiotherapy-Associated Symptoms in Head and Neck Cancer