Elevated Serum Amylase and/or Serum Lipase
Pancreatic carcinoma is associated with a very short life span following diagnosis.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Acute pancreatitis is the most common of the disorders listed.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests to assess alcohol intake and triglyceride levels are useful.
Most common causes include alcohol abuse and gallstones.
Less common causes include hypertriglyceridemia, infections, and trauma to pancreas.
Bentiromide test is a noninvasive test to assess pancreatic function in chronic pancreatitis, based on the hydrolysis by chymotrypsin of an orally administered synthetic peptide.
CA 19-9 may be useful to monitor response to therapy in patients with pancreatic cancer, but it is not specific to pancreatic cancer.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Light Therapy May Prevent Depression During Hospitalization Post-Transplant in Multiple Myeloma
- Re-treatment With Checkpoint Inhibitors in Some Patients with NSCLC May Be Feasible
- TNFi Not Linked to Increased Risk for Cancer Recurrence in Rheumatoid Arthritis
- IL-23 Drives Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Immediate Instillation of Mitomycin C Post-TURBT May Benefit All Patients with Bladder Cancer