Elevated Serum Calcium
Excess parathyroid hormone (PTH) secretion from a single parathyroid adenoma, hyperplasia of the parathyroids, parathyroid carcinoma
Especially tumors of the breast, lung, and kidney in which hypercalcemia may occur from direct bony metastasis
Multiple myeloma that directly degrades bone
Other cancers that produce hypercalcemia by inducing PTH secretion
Excess vitamin D intake
Prolonged use of diuretics and thiazides known to produce hypercalcemia
Severe hypercalcemia favors a diagnosis of cancer.
Commonly Encountered Situations
Hypercalcemia from malignancy is especially common.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
In primary hyperparathyroidism, serum PTH is increased and serum phosphorus is decreased.
In hypercalcemia of malignancy, serum phosphorus is decreased in approximately 50% of patients, and there is a decrease in the serum PTH in these patients.
Serum protein electrophoresis is useful in the assessment for multiple myeloma. Serum 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D is low in hypercalcemia of malignancy. It is often increased in primary hyperparathyroidism.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Managing Immune-Related Adverse Events
- PD-1/PD-L1 Inhibitors May Increase the Risk of Hyperprogressive Disease in NSCLC
- Predicting Response to Immunotherapy in Late-Stage Melanoma
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- "Impressive" CNS Responses With Osimertinib Compared With Standard EGFR-TKIs in Patients With CNS Metastases at Baseline
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Transplant Status May Affect CAR-T Therapy Outcomes in CLL and B-ALL
- Study Zeroes in on Cause of Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Beyond BRCA: New Predisposition Genes Linked to Breast, Ovarian Cancers