Increased PT Only: A Prolonged PT with a Normal PTT
Initiation of Coumadin therapy or a very low dose of Coumadin
Inadequate intake of foods rich in vitamin K, such as cauliflower, broccoli, chick peas, other leafy vegetables
A stimulus for disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC)
Evidence of liver disease from clinical or laboratory parameters
Family history of bleeding that could be associated with factor VII deficiency
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Get liver function tests to assess whether the patient has liver disease and decreased synthesis of coagulation factors from the liver
Get a D-dimer or FDP as an assessment of DIC
If the test is positive, follow up with platelet count and measurement of fibrinogen.
In patients with DIC, these can be decreased or show decreasing values in two consecutive specimens at least several hours apart.
If DIC, Coumadin therapy, and vitamin K deficiency have been ruled out, measure the factor VII level and assess the possibility of an isolated factor VII deficiency.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Moving Targets: Off-Label Prescribing of Targeted Therapies
- Conditional 10-Year Breast Cancer Recurrence Rates Decline Regardless of Subtype
- New Algorithm Improves Outcome Prediction for Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- Immunotherapy Combo in Head and Neck Cancer Shows Activity in Phase 2 Trial
- Trials, Collaboration Might Help Reduce Survival Disparities Between Community, Academic Cancer Centers
- Nutraceuticals/Supplements and Cancer Prevention: All Hype?
- Encorafenib Plus Binimetinib Offers a New Option for MEK+BRAF Inhibition
- Reclassification of Variants of Uncertain Significance: A Q&A With Theodora Ross MD, PhD
- POT1 Revealed as a Sarcoma Predisposition Gene
- Cabozantinib Shows Promising Activity in Osteosarcoma and Ewing Sarcoma
- Registration Trial to Look at HRAS-Directed Tipifarnib in HNSCC
- 1 in 5 Patients Readmitted Within 30 Days of Reconstruction Surgery for Head and Neck Cancer
- Treatment-Related Hyperprogression: Concerns Continue to Mount
- Activation-Induced Cytidine Deaminase Transcripts Linked To More Aggressive CLL
- Next-Generation Sequencing Helped Identify Pathways for Transformation of WM to DLBCL