Increased PT Only: A Prolonged PT with a Normal PTT
Initiation of Coumadin therapy or a very low dose of Coumadin
Inadequate intake of foods rich in vitamin K, such as cauliflower, broccoli, chick peas, other leafy vegetables
A stimulus for disseminated intravascular coagulation (DIC)
Evidence of liver disease from clinical or laboratory parameters
Family history of bleeding that could be associated with factor VII deficiency
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Get liver function tests to assess whether the patient has liver disease and decreased synthesis of coagulation factors from the liver
Get a D-dimer or FDP as an assessment of DIC
If the test is positive, follow up with platelet count and measurement of fibrinogen.
In patients with DIC, these can be decreased or show decreasing values in two consecutive specimens at least several hours apart.
If DIC, Coumadin therapy, and vitamin K deficiency have been ruled out, measure the factor VII level and assess the possibility of an isolated factor VII deficiency.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Aspirin and Colorectal Cancer
- Study Reveals Scope of Genomic Variation Within Cancer Cell Lines
- IL-23 Drives Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Religion, Spirituality, May Influence Physical Health Outcomes in Survivors of Breast Cancer
- Immediate Instillation of Mitomycin C Post-TURBT May Benefit All Patients with Bladder Cancer
- FDA Grants Accelerated Approval to Nivolumab for Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Accelerated Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy May Improve Outcomes in Localized Lung Cancer
- FDA Grants Approval to Lenvatinib as First-Line Therapy for Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- COPD May Not Affect Survival in Patients With Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Prescription Drug Coverage in Medicare Part D Is Tied to a Survival Advantage in Myeloma