Low Serum or Plasma Glucose – Hypoglycemia
Reactive hypoglycemia is usually observed in diabetics but also is found in nondiabetics following ingestion of a high-carbohydrate meal.
Pts w/ hypoglycemia caused by an insulin-producing tumor may have signs & symptoms associated w/ malignancy.
For surreptitious insulin injection, seek a history of insulin use or access to insulin.
For excess administration of sulfonylurea drugs, seek a history of use of or access to these drugs.
For impaired liver function, seek clinical evidence of impaired liver function.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Blood glucose level <50 mg/dL, coincident w/ symptoms that are reversible within 15 to 45 min of the administration of glucose in the absence of cerebral edema
C-peptide level. Pts have high levels of insulin synthesis & secretion of this portion of the pro-insulin molecule should be detectable in the blood at high levels
Elevated blood insulin Surreptitious insulin administration: insulin is elevated but C-peptide level is not because the insulin in the blood was not synthesized from proinsulin in the pt's pancreas.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Aspirin and Colorectal Cancer
- Study Reveals Scope of Genomic Variation Within Cancer Cell Lines
- IL-23 Drives Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Religion, Spirituality, May Influence Physical Health Outcomes in Survivors of Breast Cancer
- Immediate Instillation of Mitomycin C Post-TURBT May Benefit All Patients with Bladder Cancer
- FDA Grants Accelerated Approval to Nivolumab for Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Accelerated Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy May Improve Outcomes in Localized Lung Cancer
- FDA Grants Approval to Lenvatinib as First-Line Therapy for Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- COPD May Not Affect Survival in Patients With Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Prescription Drug Coverage in Medicare Part D Is Tied to a Survival Advantage in Myeloma