Low Serum or Plasma Glucose – Hypoglycemia
Reactive hypoglycemia is usually observed in diabetics but also is found in nondiabetics following ingestion of a high-carbohydrate meal.
Pts w/ hypoglycemia caused by an insulin-producing tumor may have signs & symptoms associated w/ malignancy.
For surreptitious insulin injection, seek a history of insulin use or access to insulin.
For excess administration of sulfonylurea drugs, seek a history of use of or access to these drugs.
For impaired liver function, seek clinical evidence of impaired liver function.
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Blood glucose level <50 mg/dL, coincident w/ symptoms that are reversible within 15 to 45 min of the administration of glucose in the absence of cerebral edema
C-peptide level. Pts have high levels of insulin synthesis & secretion of this portion of the pro-insulin molecule should be detectable in the blood at high levels
Elevated blood insulin Surreptitious insulin administration: insulin is elevated but C-peptide level is not because the insulin in the blood was not synthesized from proinsulin in the pt's pancreas.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Moving Targets: Off-Label Prescribing of Targeted Therapies
- Conditional 10-Year Breast Cancer Recurrence Rates Decline Regardless of Subtype
- New Algorithm Improves Outcome Prediction for Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- Immunotherapy Combo in Head and Neck Cancer Shows Activity in Phase 2 Trial
- Trials, Collaboration Might Help Reduce Survival Disparities Between Community, Academic Cancer Centers
- Nutraceuticals/Supplements and Cancer Prevention: All Hype?
- Encorafenib Plus Binimetinib Offers a New Option for MEK+BRAF Inhibition
- Reclassification of Variants of Uncertain Significance: A Q&A With Theodora Ross MD, PhD
- POT1 Revealed as a Sarcoma Predisposition Gene
- Cabozantinib Shows Promising Activity in Osteosarcoma and Ewing Sarcoma
- Registration Trial to Look at HRAS-Directed Tipifarnib in HNSCC
- 1 in 5 Patients Readmitted Within 30 Days of Reconstruction Surgery for Head and Neck Cancer
- Treatment-Related Hyperprogression: Concerns Continue to Mount
- Activation-Induced Cytidine Deaminase Transcripts Linked To More Aggressive CLL
- Next-Generation Sequencing Helped Identify Pathways for Transformation of WM to DLBCL