Low Serum or Plasma Potassium
Treatment with drugs
Loop or thiazide diuretics
Mineralocorticoids such as aldosterone and corticosterone
Antibiotics such as carbenicillin and ticarcillin
GI losses of potassium from vomiting, diarrhea, malabsorption
Aldosteronism may be primary or secondary, as in renal artery stenosis.
Endogenous or exogenous increase in corticosteroids from Cushing syndrome or dietary or parenteral potassium deprivation (IV fluids w/out potassium supplementation)
Alkalosis from extracellular to intracellular shift of potassium
Excess licorice ingestion
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Serum aldosterone to assess for primary and secondary hyperaldosteronism
24-hour urine free cortisol to assess for Cushing syndrome
Blood gases to evaluate possible alkalosis
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- CD19 CAR T-Cell Therapies: "Expect an Evolution"
- Olaratumab May Be Safe and Effective in Patients With Advanced Soft Tissue Sarcoma
- Molecular Mechanisms Underlying Immunosurveillance in Multiple Myeloma Identified
- Selinexor Trials Move Nuclear Suppressor Protein-Export Inhibition Closer to the Clinic for Multiple Myeloma
- Continuous Therapy May Be Beneficial in Patients With Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma
- Treatment-Related Hyperprogression: Concerns Continue to Mount
- The Changing Treatment Landscape for Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Liquid Biopsy as a Surveillance Tool for Breast Cancer Follow-Up
- Men With Prostate Cancer Willing to Accept Worse Survival Odds to Improve QoL
- Adjuvant Erlotinib May Benefit Patients With Early-Stage Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer