Low Serum or Plasma Sodium
Increase in extracellular fluid volume as produced by congestive heart failure, cirrhosis and ascites, producing dilutional hyponatremia
GI loss of sodium from vomiting, diarrhea, or malabsorption, especially with replacement of fluid and not electrolytes
Renal sodium loss from diuretic use or chronic renal insufficiency
Addison's disease producing adrenal insufficiency
Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH), as caused by a CNS lesion, pulmonary disease, carcinoma, porphyria
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests for the presence of congestive heart failure and cirrhosis
Indicators of renal function, such as creatinine and BUN
Serum aldosterone level
Serum or plasma BUN, and urine sodium and osmolarity, are valuable in demonstrating hyponatremia and differentiating among the causes of hyponatremia.
In SIADH, both urine sodium and urine osmolarity are increased.
In the presence of a diuretic inducing hyponatremia, urine sodium is increased, but urine osmolarity is usually isotonic to plasma.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Moving Targets: Off-Label Prescribing of Targeted Therapies
- Conditional 10-Year Breast Cancer Recurrence Rates Decline Regardless of Subtype
- New Algorithm Improves Outcome Prediction for Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma
- Immunotherapy Combo in Head and Neck Cancer Shows Activity in Phase 2 Trial
- Trials, Collaboration Might Help Reduce Survival Disparities Between Community, Academic Cancer Centers
- Nutraceuticals/Supplements and Cancer Prevention: All Hype?
- Encorafenib Plus Binimetinib Offers a New Option for MEK+BRAF Inhibition
- Reclassification of Variants of Uncertain Significance: A Q&A With Theodora Ross MD, PhD
- POT1 Revealed as a Sarcoma Predisposition Gene
- Cabozantinib Shows Promising Activity in Osteosarcoma and Ewing Sarcoma
- Registration Trial to Look at HRAS-Directed Tipifarnib in HNSCC
- 1 in 5 Patients Readmitted Within 30 Days of Reconstruction Surgery for Head and Neck Cancer
- Treatment-Related Hyperprogression: Concerns Continue to Mount
- Activation-Induced Cytidine Deaminase Transcripts Linked To More Aggressive CLL
- Next-Generation Sequencing Helped Identify Pathways for Transformation of WM to DLBCL