Low Serum or Plasma Sodium
Increase in extracellular fluid volume as produced by congestive heart failure, cirrhosis and ascites, producing dilutional hyponatremia
GI loss of sodium from vomiting, diarrhea, or malabsorption, especially with replacement of fluid and not electrolytes
Renal sodium loss from diuretic use or chronic renal insufficiency
Addison's disease producing adrenal insufficiency
Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH), as caused by a CNS lesion, pulmonary disease, carcinoma, porphyria
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests for the presence of congestive heart failure and cirrhosis
Indicators of renal function, such as creatinine and BUN
Serum aldosterone level
Serum or plasma BUN, and urine sodium and osmolarity, are valuable in demonstrating hyponatremia and differentiating among the causes of hyponatremia.
In SIADH, both urine sodium and urine osmolarity are increased.
In the presence of a diuretic inducing hyponatremia, urine sodium is increased, but urine osmolarity is usually isotonic to plasma.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Aspirin and Colorectal Cancer
- Study Reveals Scope of Genomic Variation Within Cancer Cell Lines
- IL-23 Drives Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Religion, Spirituality, May Influence Physical Health Outcomes in Survivors of Breast Cancer
- Immediate Instillation of Mitomycin C Post-TURBT May Benefit All Patients with Bladder Cancer
- FDA Grants Accelerated Approval to Nivolumab for Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Accelerated Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy May Improve Outcomes in Localized Lung Cancer
- FDA Grants Approval to Lenvatinib as First-Line Therapy for Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- COPD May Not Affect Survival in Patients With Small Cell Lung Cancer
- Prescription Drug Coverage in Medicare Part D Is Tied to a Survival Advantage in Myeloma