Low Serum or Plasma Sodium
Increase in extracellular fluid volume as produced by congestive heart failure, cirrhosis and ascites, producing dilutional hyponatremia
GI loss of sodium from vomiting, diarrhea, or malabsorption, especially with replacement of fluid and not electrolytes
Renal sodium loss from diuretic use or chronic renal insufficiency
Addison's disease producing adrenal insufficiency
Syndrome of inappropriate antidiuretic hormone secretion (SIADH), as caused by a CNS lesion, pulmonary disease, carcinoma, porphyria
Suggested Additional Lab Testing
Tests for the presence of congestive heart failure and cirrhosis
Indicators of renal function, such as creatinine and BUN
Serum aldosterone level
Serum or plasma BUN, and urine sodium and osmolarity, are valuable in demonstrating hyponatremia and differentiating among the causes of hyponatremia.
In SIADH, both urine sodium and urine osmolarity are increased.
In the presence of a diuretic inducing hyponatremia, urine sodium is increased, but urine osmolarity is usually isotonic to plasma.
Copyright © 2017, 2013 Decision Support in Medicine, LLC. All rights reserved.
No sponsor or advertiser has participated in, approved or paid for the content provided by Decision Support in Medicine LLC. The Licensed Content is the property of and copyrighted by DSM.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer Responds to Novel Radiation Therapy
- Clinical Applications of Liquid Biopsies in Cancer
- Two-Drug Combination Superior to Sunitinib in Patients With Untreated Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Radical Prostatectomy Compared With Watchful Waiting in Localized Prostate Cancer
- Immunotherapy in Glioblastoma: Peaks and Pits
- OS and PFS End Points Not Met in Phase 3 Trial of Pembrolizumab in Advanced HCC
- No Benefit Observed With Osimertinib Plus Durvalumab in EGFR-Mutated NSCLC
- Evidence of the Role of Circulating Insulin in Renal Cell Carcinoma Risk
- Treatment Guidelines in Cancer: Assessing Industry Influence on Recommendations
- American Society of Breast Surgeons Recommends Genetic Testing for All Patients With Breast Cancer