For Del19 EGFR Mutation-Positive Lung Adenocarcinoma, Afatinib Improves Overall Survival
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
According to an analysis of two phase 3 studies published in the journal The Lancet Oncology, although afatinib did not improve overall survival among the overall population with EGFR mutation-positive lung adenocarcinoma in both studies, it did improve overall survival among those with del19 EGFR mutations.
For the two open-label, phase 3 LUX-Lung 3 and LUX-Lung 6 studies, researchers sought to investigate the effect of afatinib on overall survival among with EGFR mutation-positive lung adenocarcinoma.
Researchers enrolled 345 patients with previously untreated EGFR mutation-positive stage 3B or 4 lung adenocarcinoma in the LUX-Lung 3 study and randomly assigned them 2:1 to receive afatinib or pemetrexed plus cisplatin, and enrolled 364 patients in LUX-Lung 6 and randomly assigned them to receive afatinib or gemcitabine plus cisplatin.
Results showed that in LUX-Lung 3, the median overall survival was 28.2 months (95% CI: 24.6-33.6) in the afatinib group and 28.2 months (95% CI: 20.7-33.2) in the chemotherapy group (HR = 0.88; 95% CI: 0.66-1.17; P = 0.39).
In LUX-Lung 6, the median overall survival was 23.1 months (95% CI: 20.4-27.3) in the afatinib group and 23.5 months (95% CI: 18.0-25.6) in the chemotherapy group (HR = 0.93; 95% CI: 0.72-1.22; P = 0.61). In both studies, overall survival for those with del19 mutations was significantly longer in the afatinib group versus the chemotherapy group.
Afatinib did not improve overall survival among the overall population with EGFR mutation-positive lung adenocarcinoma.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer Responds to Novel Radiation Therapy
- Clinical Applications of Liquid Biopsies in Cancer
- Two-Drug Combination Superior to Sunitinib in Patients With Untreated Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Radical Prostatectomy Compared With Watchful Waiting in Localized Prostate Cancer
- Investigational Antiandrogen Drug Delays Metastasis in CRPC
- Patients With CP-CML Deemed Less Likely to Continue Taking Generic Imatinib
- Opinion: Understanding the FDA's Take on Cannabidiol
- High IDO1 Tumor Expression May Predict Poor Overall Survival in Patients With Anal Cancer
- Ambient Benzene Exposure and Risk of Hematologic Malignancies
- Tivozanib Offers Superior Outcomes in Refractory Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma