For Del19 EGFR Mutation-Positive Lung Adenocarcinoma, Afatinib Improves Overall Survival
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
According to an analysis of two phase 3 studies published in the journal The Lancet Oncology, although afatinib did not improve overall survival among the overall population with EGFR mutation-positive lung adenocarcinoma in both studies, it did improve overall survival among those with del19 EGFR mutations.
For the two open-label, phase 3 LUX-Lung 3 and LUX-Lung 6 studies, researchers sought to investigate the effect of afatinib on overall survival among with EGFR mutation-positive lung adenocarcinoma.
Researchers enrolled 345 patients with previously untreated EGFR mutation-positive stage 3B or 4 lung adenocarcinoma in the LUX-Lung 3 study and randomly assigned them 2:1 to receive afatinib or pemetrexed plus cisplatin, and enrolled 364 patients in LUX-Lung 6 and randomly assigned them to receive afatinib or gemcitabine plus cisplatin.
Results showed that in LUX-Lung 3, the median overall survival was 28.2 months (95% CI: 24.6-33.6) in the afatinib group and 28.2 months (95% CI: 20.7-33.2) in the chemotherapy group (HR = 0.88; 95% CI: 0.66-1.17; P = 0.39).
In LUX-Lung 6, the median overall survival was 23.1 months (95% CI: 20.4-27.3) in the afatinib group and 23.5 months (95% CI: 18.0-25.6) in the chemotherapy group (HR = 0.93; 95% CI: 0.72-1.22; P = 0.61). In both studies, overall survival for those with del19 mutations was significantly longer in the afatinib group versus the chemotherapy group.
Afatinib did not improve overall survival among the overall population with EGFR mutation-positive lung adenocarcinoma.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Plastics and Cancer
- Cabozantinib Shows Promising Activity in Osteosarcoma and Ewing Sarcoma
- Real-World Study Shows High Response Rates to T-VEC in Early Metastatic Melanoma
- Using ctDNA to Predict Cancer Recurrence and Guide Therapy Selection
- Atezolizumab and Nab-Paclitaxel Prolonged PFS in Metastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer
- Infections in Primary Immune Thrombocytopenia Associated With Low Platelet Count
- Expert Panel Provides Recommendations for Running Trials on Intratumoral Immunotherapy
- Large Acute Myeloid Leukemia Dataset Could Help Identify Targeted Treatments
- Treatment of H. pylori Increased Platelet Count in ITP
- Reclassification of Variants of Uncertain Significance: A Q&A With Theodora Ross MD, PhD