Figitumumab Not Safe or Effective for Advanced Non-Adenocarcinoma Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC)
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
According to a new study published in the journal Annals of Oncology, researchers have found that the addition of figitumumab to erlotinib did not improve overall survival in patients with advanced, non-adenocarcinoma non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC) who have received prior therapy.
For the multicenter, open-label, phase 3 study, 583 patients with stage 3B/4 non-adenocarcinoma NSCLC or recurrent disease with non-adenocarcinoma histology who had previously received at least one platinum-based therapy were randomly assigned to receive erlotinib 150mg daily with or without figitumumab 20mg/kg.
The study was stopped early by an independent data safety monitoring committee due to nine treatment-related deaths, specifically three related to both drugs, four attributed to erlotinib alone, and two related to figitumumab.
Results showed a median overall survival of 5.7 months for the combination group compared with 6.2 months for the erlotinib alone group (HR = 1.09, 95% CI: 0.91 - 1.31; P = 0.35). Median progression-free survival was 2.1 months and 2.6 months for the combination group and erlotinib alone group, respectively (HR = 1.08, 95% CI: 0.90 - 1.29; P = 0.43).
As a result of the safety concerns and the early study closure, the clinical development of figitumumab has been discontinued.
Figitumumab to erlotinib did not improve overall survival in non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
The addition of figitumumab to erlotinib did not improve OS in patients with advanced, pretreated, non–adenocarcinoma NSCLC. Clinical development of figitumumab has been discontinued.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- As HPV-Related Cancer Rates Climb, Experts Scrutinize Barriers to HPV Vaccination
- Bowel Preparation for Colorectal Cancer Screening: Improving Outcomes
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- Duvelisib Delayed Progression in CLL/SLL: Study
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Treatment Delays May Mean Worse Survival in Head and Neck Cancer
- New Combo for Chronic Myeloid Leukemia Shows Activity In Vitro
- Age-adjusted Comorbidity Predicts Survival in Laryngeal Cancer
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Role of miR-125a-5p Clarified in Bladder Cancer