Necitumumab Fails to Improve Survival in Lung Cancer (NSCLC)
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
According to a new study published in the journal The Lancet Oncology, researchers have found that the addition of necitumumab to cisplatin and pemetrexed did not increase survival of previously untreated patients with stage IV non-squamous non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC).
Necitumumab is an investigational second-generation recombinant human immunoglobulin G1 EGFR monoclonal antibody.
For the international, open-label, controlled phase III study, researchers enrolled 633 patients with previously untreated non-squamous NSCLC and randomly assigned them to receive either cisplatin 75mg/m2 and pemetrexed 500mg/m2 on day 1 of a 3-week cycle for up to 6 cycles alone, or with necitumumab 800mg on days 1 and 8 until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Results showed a median overall survival of 11.3 months (95% CI: 9.5 - 13.4) for the necitumumab group compared with 11.5 months (10.1 - 13.1) in the chemotherapy alone group (HR = 1.01; 95% CI: 0.84 - 1.21; P = 0.96).
The necitumumab group also experienced a higher incidence of severe adverse events, including death, versus the chemotherapy alone group.
The findings suggest that necitumumab is not likely to provide benefit to patients with previously untreated stage IV non-squamous NSCLC when used in combination with cisplatin and pemetrexed.
Addition of necitumumab to cisplatin and pemetrexed did not increase survival in stage IV non-squamous NSCLC.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- Apalutamide Does Not Diminish Quality of Life in Nonmetastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Chemotherapy Plays a Role in Skeletal Muscle Atrophy in Patients With Breast Cancer
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- A Big BiTE: Tetravalent BiTE Highly Potent in HER2-positive Breast Cancer Models
- Plastics and Cancer
- Real World Experience Differs from Trial Results for Niraparib in Recurrent Ovarian Cancer
- Trastuzumab Biosimilar Demonstrated Equivalent Efficacy Across Clinical Settings
- Plasma NGS Should Be Routine in Metastatic NSCLC, Say Researchers