Amrubicin Doesn't Improve Overall Survival vs. Topotecan as Second-Line Treatment for Small-Cell Lung Cancer
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
According to a new study published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, researchers have found that amrubicin did not improve survival when compared to topotecan for the second-line treatment of patients with small-cell lung cancer (SCLC).
For the phase 3 study, 637 patients with refractory or sensitive SCLC were randomly assigned 2:1 to receive amrubicin, a third-generation anthracycline and topoisomerase II inhibitor, 40mg/m2 IV on days 1 through 3 or topotecan 1.5mg/m2 IV on days 1 through 5 of 21-day cycles.
Researchers found that amrubicin group had a median overall survival of 7.5 months versus 7.8 months in the topotecan group (HR, 0.880; P = 0.170). In patients with refractory SCLC, median overall survival was 6.2 months in the amrubicin group and 5.7 months in the topotecan group (HR, 0.88; P = 0.047). Median progression-free survival was 4.1 months and 3.5 for patients who received amrubicin and topotecan, respectively (HR, 0.802; P = 0.018).
Overall response rates were 31.1% for the amrubicin group and 16.9% for the topotecan group (OR, 2.223; P < 0.001). Despite positive results with amrubicin in SCLC in phase 2 trials, amrubicin did not improve overall survival when compared to topotecan; however, it did improve overall survival in patients with refractory disease.
Amrubicin did not improve survival when compared to topotecan for the second-line treatment of SCLC.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- As HPV-Related Cancer Rates Climb, Experts Scrutinize Barriers to HPV Vaccination
- Bowel Preparation for Colorectal Cancer Screening: Improving Outcomes
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- Duvelisib Delayed Progression in CLL/SLL: Study
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Potential Diagnostic Tool Detects BCR-ABL1 mRNA in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- BTK Inhibitor Zanubrutinib Appears Promising in Waldenström Macroglobulinemia
- Carfilzomib Regimens Offer a Neuropathy-Sparing Approach in Multiple Myeloma, WM
- Apalutamide Does Not Diminish Quality of Life in Nonmetastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Treatment Delays May Mean Worse Survival in Head and Neck Cancer