Long-Term Survival Benefits Found with Nonmyeloablative Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Long-term survival benefits from nonmyeloablative allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation (HCT) were observed in patients with relapsed mantle cell lymphoma (MCL), including refractory disease and multiple relapses, according to an article published online in the journal Cancer.
In this study, 70 patients with MCL were evaluated, including 33 patients from an initial study who had an extended follow-up (median, 10 years).
Results showed the 5-year incidence of nonrelapse mortality was 28%, while the relapse rate was 26%. The 5-year overall survival (OS) rate was 55% and the progression-free survival (PFS) rate was 46%. Furthermore, the 10-year OS rate was 44%, while the 10-year PFS rate was 41%.
The OS rates at 5 (51% vs. 58%) and 10 (43% vs. 45%) years were comparable among patients with relapsed or refractory disease and patients who underwent transplantation with partial or complete remission, despite the increased rate of relapse (HR, 2.94; P=0.05) associated with the presence of relapsed or refractory disease at the time of HCT.
At the time of last follow-up, 80% of patients who survived were off immunosuppression.
The authors revealed the only independent factor that predicted worse OS (HR, 2.32; P=0.02) was a high-risk cytomegalovirus (CMV) status. PFS (HR, 2.22; P =0.03) was predicted by the high-risk CMV status and low CD3 dose.
Long-term survival benefits from nonmyeloablative allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation observed in mantle cell lymphoma.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- As HPV-Related Cancer Rates Climb, Experts Scrutinize Barriers to HPV Vaccination
- Bowel Preparation for Colorectal Cancer Screening: Improving Outcomes
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- Duvelisib Delayed Progression in CLL/SLL: Study
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Potential Diagnostic Tool Detects BCR-ABL1 mRNA in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- BTK Inhibitor Zanubrutinib Appears Promising in Waldenström Macroglobulinemia
- Carfilzomib Regimens Offer a Neuropathy-Sparing Approach in Multiple Myeloma, WM
- Apalutamide Does Not Diminish Quality of Life in Nonmetastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Treatment Delays May Mean Worse Survival in Head and Neck Cancer