Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitrofurantoin macrocrystals 25mg, 50mg, 100mg; caps.
Indications for MACRODANTIN:
Take with food. 50–100mg 4 times daily for at least 7 days. Long-term use: 50–100mg at bedtime.
Take with food. <1 month: not recommended. ≥1 month: 5–7mg/kg per day in 4 divided doses for at least 7 days. Long-term use: 1mg/kg per day in 1–2 divided doses.
Anuria, oliguria, CrCl <60mL/min. Neonates <1 month of age. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy at term. History of cholestatic jaundice/hepatic dysfunction associated with nitrofurantoin.
Not for treating pyelonephritis or perinephric abscesses. Discontinue if pulmonary reactions, hepatic disorders, or hemolysis occurs. Renal insufficiency; monitor (esp. in elderly). G6PD or Vit. B deficiency. Anemia. Diabetes. Electrolyte imbalance. Monitor renal function and pulmonary condition in long-term use. Debilitated. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Reduced absorption by magnesium trisilicate. Uricosurics (eg, probenecid, sulfinpyrazone) may inhibit tubular secretion. May cause false (+) glucose test with Benedict's or Fehling's solution.
Nausea, headache, dizziness, anorexia, alopecia; C. diff-associated diarrhea, pulmonary disorders, hepatic damage, hemolytic anemia, peripheral neuropathy (may be irreversible), anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias; rare: exfoliative dermatitis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, aplastic anemia.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Opioid Prescription Protocol Decreases Opioid Use After Gynecologic Surgery
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole May Be Active in Recurrent Endometrial Carcinoma
- Affordable Care Act Increased Percentage of Insured Patients With Gynecologic Cancers
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML