Magnesium Sulfate Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Magnesium sulfate 500mg/mL; soln for IM inj; or IV use after dilution; contains aluminum.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Magnesium Sulfate Injection:
Mild deficiency: 1g IM every 6 hours for four doses. Severe deficiency: 250mg/kg IM within a period of 4 hours if necessary; alternatively 5g may be added to one liter of 5% dextrose inj or 0.9% sodium chloride inj for slow IV infusion over a 3-hour period. TPN: usual range: 1–3g (8–24mEq) daily. Severe renal impairment: max 20g in 48 hours.
TPN for infants: usual range: 0.25–1.25g (2–10mEq) daily.
Heart block. Myocardial damage.
Renal impairment. Monitor serum magnesium levels; if repeated doses are given, test knee jerk reflexes before each dose. Have injectable calcium salt readily available to counteract magnesium intoxication. Elderly. Premature neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
Additive CNS depressant effects with barbiturates, narcotics, other hypnotics; adjust dose. Potentiates neuromuscular blocking agents. Concomitant cardiac glycosides; use extreme caution, heart block may occur.
Magnesium intoxication (eg, flushing, sweating, hypotension, depressed reflexes, flaccid paralysis, hypothermia, circulatory collapse, cardiac and CNS depression proceeding to respiratory paralysis.
Formerly known under the brand name Sulfamag.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Managing Immune-Related Adverse Events
- PD-1/PD-L1 Inhibitors May Increase the Risk of Hyperprogressive Disease in NSCLC
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- "Impressive" CNS Responses With Osimertinib Compared With Standard EGFR-TKIs in Patients With CNS Metastases at Baseline
- Higher Doses of Image-Guided Neoadjuvant Radiation Therapy Found to Be Safe in Locally Advanced NSCLC: Study
- Supply Shortages of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Found to Spur Drug Rationing in Non-Muscle Invasive Bladder Cancer
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Epacadostat and Pembrolizumab Combo Active in Relapsed NSCLC
- PD-1 Inhibitor Cemiplimab Shows Antitumor Activity in Relapsed NSCLC