Magnesium Sulfate Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Magnesium sulfate 500mg/mL; soln for IM inj; or IV use after dilution; contains aluminum.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Magnesium Sulfate Injection:
Mild deficiency: 1g IM every 6 hours for four doses. Severe deficiency: 250mg/kg IM within a period of 4 hours if necessary; alternatively 5g may be added to one liter of 5% dextrose inj or 0.9% sodium chloride inj for slow IV infusion over a 3-hour period. TPN: usual range: 1–3g (8–24mEq) daily. Severe renal impairment: max 20g in 48 hours.
TPN for infants: usual range: 0.25–1.25g (2–10mEq) daily.
Heart block. Myocardial damage.
Renal impairment. Monitor serum magnesium levels; if repeated doses are given, test knee jerk reflexes before each dose. Have injectable calcium salt readily available to counteract magnesium intoxication. Elderly. Premature neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
Additive CNS depressant effects with barbiturates, narcotics, other hypnotics; adjust dose. Potentiates neuromuscular blocking agents. Concomitant cardiac glycosides; use extreme caution, heart block may occur.
Magnesium intoxication (eg, flushing, sweating, hypotension, depressed reflexes, flaccid paralysis, hypothermia, circulatory collapse, cardiac and CNS depression proceeding to respiratory paralysis.
Formerly known under the brand name Sulfamag.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Opioid Prescription Protocol Decreases Opioid Use After Gynecologic Surgery
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole May Be Active in Recurrent Endometrial Carcinoma
- Affordable Care Act Increased Percentage of Insured Patients With Gynecologic Cancers
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML