Generic Name and Formulations:
Mesna 400mg; tabs.
Indications for MESNEX:
Prophylactic agent in reducing the incidence of ifosfamide-induced hemorrhagic cystitis.
See literature. IV Schedule: Give as IV bolus injection in a dosage equal to 20% of the ifosfamide dose at the time of ifosfamide administration and 4 and 8 hours after each dose of ifosfamide; total daily dose is 60% the ifosfamide dose. IV and oral dosing: Give as IV bolus injection in a dosage equal to 20% of the ifosfamide dose at the time of ifosfamide administration, followed by the tablets given orally in a dosage equal to 40% of the ifosfamide dose 2 and 6 hours after each dose of ifosfamide; total daily dose is 100% of the ifosfamide dose. Repeat schedule on each day ifosfamide is given. If vomiting occurs within 2hrs of oral mesna, repeat dose or give IV mesna.
Hypersensitivity to thiol compounds.
Monitor morning specimen of urine for the presence of hematuria each day prior to ifosfamide therapy; consider dose reduction or discontinue if hematuria occurs. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
GI upset, fever, anorexia, flatulence, constipation, rhinitis, rigors, back pain, rash, conjunctivitis, arthralgia, headache, inj site reactions, flushing, dizziness, pharyngitis, hyperaesthesia, flu-like symptoms, coughing; hypersensitivity reactions.
Patients taking mesna should drink at least a quart of liquid a day.
Tabs—10; Multidose vials—1, 10
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma — In the Clinic
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- 5α-Reductase Inhibitors Do Not Increase Risk of High-Grade Prostate Cancer
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- NSCLC: Pretreatment Weight Loss May Be Linked to Socioeconomic Status
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Model May Identify Patients With Gastric Cancer Likely To Benefit From Chemotherapy