Generic Name and Formulations:
Methylergonovine maleate 0.2mg; tabs.
Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for METHERGINE:
Following delivery of the placenta, for routine management of uterine atony, hemorrhage, and subinvolution of the uterus. For control of uterine hemorrhage in the second stage of labor following delivery of the anterior shoulder.
0.2mg 3–4 times a day in the puerperium for max 1 week.
Hypertension. Toxemia. Pregnancy (Cat.C).
Avoid intra-arterial, periarterial injection. Coronary artery disease or risk factors; may be more susceptible to developing MI and infarction associated with methylergonovine-induced vasospasm. Sepsis. Obliterative vascular disease. Hepatic or renal disease. 2nd stage of labor. Nursing mothers: not recommended (wait at least 12hrs after last dose before initiating or resuming feeding).
Potentiated by vasoconstrictors, other ergot alkaloids, prostaglandins, beta-blockers. Potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, macrolides, protease inhibitors, reverse transcriptase inhibitors, azole antifungals): not recommended. Use caution with less potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, saquinavir, nefazodone, fluconazole, grapefruit juice, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, zileuton, clotrimazole). Antagonized by strong inducers of CYP3A4 (eg, nevirapine, rifampicin), anesthetics (eg, halothane, methoxyflurane). Antagonizes glyceryl trinitrate, other antianginal drugs.
Hypertension associated with seizure and/or headache, hypotension, abdominal pain, GI upset; rare: cardiovascular effects (eg, vasoconstriction, acute MI, transient chest pains).
Tabs—7, 12, 28, 100; Inj (1mL amps)—20
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma — In the Clinic
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- 5α-Reductase Inhibitors Do Not Increase Risk of High-Grade Prostate Cancer
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- NSCLC: Pretreatment Weight Loss May Be Linked to Socioeconomic Status
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Model May Identify Patients With Gastric Cancer Likely To Benefit From Chemotherapy