Generic Name and Formulations:
Methyl aminolevulinate 16.8%; crm.
Galderma Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for METVIXIA:
For treatment of thin and moderately thick, non-hyperkeratotic, non-pigmented actinic keratoses of the face and scalp in immunocompetent patients, in combination with Aktilite CL128 lamp red light illumination.
See literature. Surface of lesion should be prepared before applying. Use nitrile gloves. Apply a layer of cream about 1mm thick to lesion and surrounding 5mm of normal skin. Do not apply more than 1g (half tube) per treatment session. Cover area with occlusive, non-absorbent dressing for 3 hours. Multiple lesions may be treated during the same session. Remove occlusive dressing and clean area with saline and gauze. Position Aktilite CL128 lamp. Required illumination time: 7–10 minutes. Keep area covered and away from light for at least 48 hours after. Two treatment sessions one week apart should be administered. Assess lesion response 3 months after the last treatment session.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Cutaneous photosensitivity. Porphyrin, peanut, or almond oil allergy.
Do not apply to eyes, mucous membranes. Avoid exposure to sunlight or bright indoor light during the period prior to Aktilite red light treatment. If red light treatment cannot be administered, remove cream and protect skin from sunlight or intense light for two days. Coagulation defects. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Additive photosensitivity possible with concomitant photosensitizing agents.
Erythema, pain, burning and discomfort, pruritus, scabbing, crusting and erosions, edema and exfoliation of skin.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma — In the Clinic
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- 5α-Reductase Inhibitors Do Not Increase Risk of High-Grade Prostate Cancer
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- NSCLC: Pretreatment Weight Loss May Be Linked to Socioeconomic Status
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Model May Identify Patients With Gastric Cancer Likely To Benefit From Chemotherapy