Generic Name and Formulations:
Midodrine HCl 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Midodrine:
Symptomatic orthostatic hypotension.
Take during the day while upright; allow at least 4 hours between last dose and bedtime. 10mg 3 times daily at 3–4 hour intervals. Renal dysfunction: initially 2.5mg 3 times daily. Discontinue if no improvement after initial therapy.
Severe heart disease. Acute renal disease. Urinary retention. Pheochromocytoma. Thyrotoxicosis. Persistent, excessive supine hypertension.
Initial supine systolic pressure >180mmHg: not recommended. Monitor supine and sitting BP. Discontinue if supine hypertension occurs. Diabetes. Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant drugs that increase BP (eg, phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, dihydroergotamine, thyroid hormones, droxidopa); if unavoidable, monitor BP closely. Avoid concomitant MAO inhibitors or linezolid. Potentiated by sodium-retaining steroids (eg, fludrocortisone acetate); caution in increased intraocular pressure with fludrocortisone. Antagonized by α-antagonists (eg, prazosin, terazosin, doxazosin). Levels may be affected by renally-excreted alkaline drugs (eg, metformin, cimetidine, ranitidine, procainamide, triamterene, flecainide, quinidine). Cardiac glycosides, β-blockers, CNS drugs may cause bradycardia, AV block, arrhythmias; discontinue if bradycardia occurs.
Paresthesia, piloerection, dysuria, pruritus, supine hypertension, chills, pain, rash.
Formerly known under the brand name Proamatine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- "Impressive" CNS Responses With Osimertinib Compared With Standard EGFR-TKIs in Patients With CNS Metastases at Baseline
- Study Zeroes in on Cause of Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Higher Doses of Image-Guided Neoadjuvant Radiation Therapy Found to Be Safe in Locally Advanced NSCLC: Study
- Supply Shortages of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Found to Spur Drug Rationing in Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Epacadostat and Pembrolizumab Combo Active in Relapsed NSCLC
- PD-1 Inhibitor Cemiplimab Shows Antitumor Activity in Relapsed NSCLC