Generic Name and Formulations:
Midodrine HCl 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Midodrine:
Symptomatic orthostatic hypotension.
Take during the day while upright; allow at least 4 hours between last dose and bedtime. 10mg 3 times daily at 3–4 hour intervals. Renal dysfunction: initially 2.5mg 3 times daily. Discontinue if no improvement after initial therapy.
Severe heart disease. Acute renal disease. Urinary retention. Pheochromocytoma. Thyrotoxicosis. Persistent, excessive supine hypertension.
Initial supine systolic pressure >180mmHg: not recommended. Monitor supine and sitting BP. Discontinue if supine hypertension occurs. Diabetes. Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant drugs that increase BP (eg, phenylephrine, pseudoephedrine, ephedrine, dihydroergotamine, thyroid hormones, droxidopa); if unavoidable, monitor BP closely. Avoid concomitant MAO inhibitors or linezolid. Potentiated by sodium-retaining steroids (eg, fludrocortisone acetate); caution in increased intraocular pressure with fludrocortisone. Antagonized by α-antagonists (eg, prazosin, terazosin, doxazosin). Levels may be affected by renally-excreted alkaline drugs (eg, metformin, cimetidine, ranitidine, procainamide, triamterene, flecainide, quinidine). Cardiac glycosides, β-blockers, CNS drugs may cause bradycardia, AV block, arrhythmias; discontinue if bradycardia occurs.
Paresthesia, piloerection, dysuria, pruritus, supine hypertension, chills, pain, rash.
Formerly known under the brand name Proamatine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma — In the Clinic
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Larotrectinib: Promising for All TRK-Positive Tumors
- 5α-Reductase Inhibitors Do Not Increase Risk of High-Grade Prostate Cancer
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Model May Identify Patients With Gastric Cancer Likely To Benefit From Chemotherapy
- Modified XELIRI Yields Similar Outcomes to FOLFIRI in Metastatic CRC
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations