Nafcillin Inj Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Nafcillin sodium 1g/vial, 2g/vial, 10g/vial; pwd for deep IM inj after reconstitution, IV infusion after reconstitution and dilution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Nafcillin Inj:
Susceptible infections due to penicillinase-producing staphylococci.
Give by deep IM gluteal inj or IV infusion over 30–60mins. IM: 500mg every 4–6hrs. IV: 500mg every 4hrs. Severe infections: 1g IM or IV every 4hrs; treat for at least 14 days, then continue for at least 48hrs after becoming afebrile, asymptomatic, or (–) cultures. Endocarditis or osteomyelitis: may need longer therapy; see full labeling. Switch to oral therapy as soon as clinically indicated.
Give by deep IM gluteal inj only. Neonates: 10mg/kg twice daily. Infants and children (<40kg): 25mg/kg twice daily.
Cephalosporin allergy: not recommended. History of significant allergies. Asthma. Discontinue if superinfection occurs or if CDAD is suspected or confirmed. Obtain CBCs, BUN, urinalysis, creatinine, LFTs at baseline and periodically during therapy. Monitor renal, hepatic and hematopoietic function in prolonged use. Renal and hepatic impairment. Elderly (esp. IV route). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
May be antagonized by tetracycline; avoid. Concomitant warfarin: monitor; adjust dose as needed. May antagonize cyclosporine; monitor. Potentiated by probenecid. May cause false (+) protein urine test with sulfosalicyclic acid.
Inj site reactions, thrombophlebitis, rash, serum sickness, GI upset, neurotoxicity, renal toxicity, elevated LFTs, blood dyscrasias; hypersensitivity reactions, CDAD, pseudomembranous colitis.
Formerly known under the brand names Nallpen, Unipen.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Ketogenic Diet as an Adjunct to Cancer Treatment
- Patient-Reported Outcomes in Oncology Expected to Make Regulatory Waves
- Blinatumomab-Ponatinib Salvage Therapy in B-Cell Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia: Case Report of Benefit
- FDA Provides Update on Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma
- Metastatic Prostate Cancer Responds to Novel Radiation Therapy
- Nivolumab-Ipilimumab Survival Benefit in Advanced RCC Confirmed
- Two-Drug Combination Superior to Sunitinib in Patients With Untreated Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Adding Chemotherapy to Radiation Post-Radical Cystectomy Improves Survival in Urothelial Carcinoma
- Radiation, Chemotherapy Not Beneficial in Localized Upper Tract Urothelial Carcinoma
- Radical Cystectomy Superior to Trimodal Therapy for Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer