Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentamidine isethionate 300mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for inhalation after reconstitution. To be used with the Respirgard II nebulizer.
Fresenius Kabi USA
Indications for NEBUPENT:
For prevention of Pneumocystis jiroveci pneumonia (PJP) in high-risk, HIV-infected patients defined by one or both of the following criteria: 1) a history of one or more episodes of PJP; 2) a peripheral CD4+ lymphocyte count ≤200/mm3.
>16yrs: 300mg once every 4 weeks administered via the Respirgard II nebulizer. Dose should be delivered until nebulizer chamber is empty (approx. 30–45 minutes).
≤16yrs: not recommended.
Exclude the presence of PJP before starting prophylaxis therapy. History of smoking or asthma. May induce bronchospasm/cough; administer inhaled bronchodilator prior to giving NebuPent dose; do not use Respirgard II nebulizer to administer a bronchodilator. Pregnancy (Cat. C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Do not mix with other drugs. Additive effects with concomitant other nephrotoxic drugs (eg, aminoglycosides, amphotericin B, cisplatin, foscarnet, vancomycin); monitor closely or avoid if possible.
Night sweats, GI upset, anemia, bronchitis, herpes, herpes zoster, flu, oral Candida, pharyngitis, sinusitis, upper respiratory tract infections, headache, chest pain, cough, wheezing, bad taste; monitor closely for serious adverse reactions: hypotension, hypoglycemia, hyperglycemia, hypocalcemia, thrombocytopenia, leukopenia, hepatic/renal dysfunction, ventricular tachycardia, pancreatitis (discontinue if occurs), Stevens-Johnson syndrome, hyperkalemia, abnormal ST segment; rare: extrapulmonary pneumocystosis.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Confronting Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Survival Outcomes
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma