Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentobarbital sodium 50mg/mL; soln for IM or IV inj; contains alcohol.
Indications for NEMBUTAL:
Short-term (≤ 2 weeks) treatment of insomnia when oral route is not feasible.
IM: 150mg–200mg (max 5mL/inj) as a single deep IM inj. IV: Inject slowly (max 50mg/min). ≥70kg: initially 100mg; observe and monitor vital signs at least 1 minute, then may increase as needed in small increments to usual max 500mg. Elderly, debilitated, renal or hepatic impairment: reduce dose.
IM: 2–6mg/kg as a single deep IM inj; max 100mg. IV: inject slowly; reduce adult dose proportionally (see literature).
Prehepatic coma: not recommended. Avoid abrupt cessation. Acute or chronic pain. Depression. Suicidal tendencies. Drug abuser. Hepatic or renal impairment. Monitor BP, respiration, cardiac function. Avoid extravasation. Write ℞ for smallest practical amount. Elderly. Debilitated. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.D). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by MAOIs, valproic acid, sodium valproate (monitor). CNS depression potentiated with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Antagonizes anticoagulants, corticosteroids, other steroid hormones (eg, oral contraceptives), doxycycline. May interfere with griseofulvin absorption. Variable effects with phenytoin (monitor).
Somnolence, respiratory depression, CNS effects, bradycardia, hypotension, syncope, GI upset, headache, inj site reactions, paradoxical excitement.
Multi-dose vials (20mL, 50mL)—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- "Impressive" CNS Responses With Osimertinib Compared With Standard EGFR-TKIs in Patients With CNS Metastases at Baseline
- Study Zeroes in on Cause of Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Higher Doses of Image-Guided Neoadjuvant Radiation Therapy Found to Be Safe in Locally Advanced NSCLC: Study
- Supply Shortages of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Found to Spur Drug Rationing in Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Epacadostat and Pembrolizumab Combo Active in Relapsed NSCLC
- PD-1 Inhibitor Cemiplimab Shows Antitumor Activity in Relapsed NSCLC