Generic Name and Formulations:
Nicotine polacrilex 2mg, 4mg; chewing gum; sugar-free; contains sodium, calcium; mint, fresh mint, white ice mint, cinnamon surge, fruit chill, or original flavor.
Indications for NICORETTE:
Adjunct in smoking cessation therapy.
Start on quit day. Use 2mg if patient smoked first cigarette >30 mins after waking up; use 4mg if patient smoked first cigarette within 30 mins of waking up. Chew gum slowly until it tingles; park between cheek and gum; repeat until most of the tingle is gone (about 30 mins). ≥18yrs: Use 1 piece every 1–2hrs for 6 weeks (at least 9 pieces/day), then every 2–4hrs for 3 weeks, then every 4–8hrs for 3 weeks, then stop; max 24 pieces/day. If strong or frequent cravings, may use 2nd piece within the hour; avoid continuous use.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Cardiovascular disease, recent heart attack, irregular heart beat. Uncontrolled hypertension. Peptic ulcer disease. Diabetes. History of seizures. Sodium-restricted diet. Discontinue and evaluate if irregular heart beat, palpitations, mouth/teeth/jaw problems, persistent indigestion, severe sore throat, nicotine overdose symptoms, or allergic reactions occur. Keep out of reach of children and pets. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Do not eat or drink for 15 mins before and during use. Concomitant other non-nicotine smoking cessation drug. Concomitant antidepressants or anti-asthmatic drugs; may need to adjust dose.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hiccups, heartburn, dizziness, palpitations, hypertension, mouth problems.
Gum—20, 100, 110, 200; Lozenge—(mint, cherry)—72; (original)—108; Mini lozenge—20, 81, 108, 135
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Beyond BRCA: New Predisposition Genes Linked to Breast, Ovarian Cancers
- Finding Clinical Trials in Cancer
- First-Line Osimertinib Effective Regardless of PD-L1 Expression in EGFR-Mutated NSCLC
- irAEs Associated With Prolonged PFS and OS in NSCLC
- Adding Nintedanib Did Not Improve Survival in Lung Cancer Subtype
- The Identification of a Potential Early Plasma Biomarker for Kidney Cancer
- Pembrolizumab Plus Chemotherapy Extended Survival Longer Than Chemotherapy Alone: Study