Generic Name and Formulations:
Nicotine polacrilex 2mg, 4mg; chewing gum; sugar-free; contains sodium, calcium; mint, fresh mint, white ice mint, cinnamon surge, fruit chill, or original flavor.
Indications for NICORETTE:
Adjunct in smoking cessation therapy.
Start on quit day. Use 2mg if patient smoked first cigarette >30 mins after waking up; use 4mg if patient smoked first cigarette within 30 mins of waking up. Chew gum slowly until it tingles; park between cheek and gum; repeat until most of the tingle is gone (about 30 mins). ≥18yrs: Use 1 piece every 1–2hrs for 6 weeks (at least 9 pieces/day), then every 2–4hrs for 3 weeks, then every 4–8hrs for 3 weeks, then stop; max 24 pieces/day. If strong or frequent cravings, may use 2nd piece within the hour; avoid continuous use.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Cardiovascular disease, recent heart attack, irregular heart beat. Uncontrolled hypertension. Peptic ulcer disease. Diabetes. History of seizures. Sodium-restricted diet. Discontinue and evaluate if irregular heart beat, palpitations, mouth/teeth/jaw problems, persistent indigestion, severe sore throat, nicotine overdose symptoms, or allergic reactions occur. Keep out of reach of children and pets. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Do not eat or drink for 15 mins before and during use. Concomitant other non-nicotine smoking cessation drug. Concomitant antidepressants or anti-asthmatic drugs; may need to adjust dose.
Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, hiccups, heartburn, dizziness, palpitations, hypertension, mouth problems.
Gum—20, 100, 110, 200; Lozenge—(mint, cherry)—72; (original)—108; Mini lozenge—20, 81, 108, 135
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Opioid Prescription Protocol Decreases Opioid Use After Gynecologic Surgery
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole May Be Active in Recurrent Endometrial Carcinoma
- Affordable Care Act Increased Percentage of Insured Patients With Gynecologic Cancers
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML