Generic Name and Formulations:
Estrone sodium sulfate (as estropipate) 5mg; scored tabs.
Indications for OGEN:
Moderate to severe vasomotor symptoms of menopause. Atrophic vaginitis. Osteoporosis prevention. Hypoestrogenism.
Menopause: 0.625–5mg daily, given cyclically (3 weeks on, 1 week off). Osteoporosis prevention (begin therapy soon after menopause): 0.625mg daily, given cyclically (25 days of a 31-day cycle). Hypoestrogenism: 1.25–7.5mg daily for 3 weeks. Repeat course if withdrawal bleeding does not occur within 8–10 days after discontinuing. See literature. Reevaluate periodically.
Breast or estrogen-dependent carcinoma. Undiagnosed abnormal genital bleeding. Thromboembolic disorders. Thrombophlebitis. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Patients with an intact uterus should almost always receive a progestin to avoid endometrial hyperplasia. Cardiovascular disease. Hepatic dysfunction. Gallbladder disease. Conditions aggravated by fluid retention. Bone disease associated with hypercalcemia. Do initial complete physical and repeat annually (include BP, mammogram, and PAP smear). Discontinue if jaundice or hypertension occurs and at least 2 weeks before surgery associated with thromboembolism. Nursing mothers.
See full labeling. GI upset, breakthrough bleeding, edema, weight changes, mastodynia, hypertension, intolerance to contact lenses.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Erdafitinib Granted FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for Urothelial Carcinoma
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab Improves Overall Survival, ORR in Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Encorafenib, Binimetinib May Be Effective in BRAF-Mutant Melanoma
- CLL: Venetoclax Plus Rituximab Improves 2-Year PFS
- Confronting Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Survival Outcomes
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma