Generic Name and Formulations:
Famotidine 20mg, 40mg; tabs.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for PEPCID:
Active duodenal ulcer. Maintenance of healed duodenal ulcer. Active benign gastric ulcer. Pathological hypersecretory conditions (eg, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome, multiple endocrine adenomas). Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Esophagitis due to GERD.
Duodenal ulcer: 40mg once daily at bedtime or 20mg twice daily for 4–8 weeks. Maintenance: 20mg once daily at bedtime. Benign gastric ulcer: 40mg once daily at bedtime for up to 8 weeks. Hypersecretory conditions: Initially 20mg every 6hrs; individualize. GERD symptoms: 20mg twice daily for up to 6 weeks. Esophagitis: 20–40mg twice daily for up to 12 wks (see full labeling).
Individualize; adjust based on response. <1yr: not recommended. 1–16yrs: Peptic ulcer: Initially 0.5mg/kg per day at bedtime or in 2 divided doses; max 40mg/day. GERD: Initially 1mg/kg per day divided in 2 doses; max 40mg twice daily.
Moderate to severe renal insufficiency (CrCl <50mL/min): reduce to half the dose or prolong dosing interval to 36–48hrs. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
May give antacids concomitantly.
Headache, dizziness, constipation, diarrhea, inj site reactions; rare: CNS reactions, prolonged QT interval in impaired renal function.
Formerly known under the brand name Pepcid Injection.
Tabs—30, 100; Susp—50mL; Inj—contact supplier
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Erdafitinib Granted FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for Urothelial Carcinoma
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- Confronting Racial Disparities in Prostate Cancer Survival Outcomes
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- NSCLC: Pretreatment Weight Loss May Be Linked to Socioeconomic Status
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC