Prednisone oral solution Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Prednisone 5mg; per 5mL; contains alcohol 5%.
Roxane Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for Prednisone oral solution:
Adults and Children:
See literature. Initially 5mg–60mg daily. Intensol: mix with liquid or semi-solid food.
Systemic fungal infections. Live vaccines.
Tuberculosis. Latent amebiasis. Strongyloides infestation. Hypothyroidism. Ocular herpes simplex. Cirrhosis. Renal insufficiency. If exposed to chickenpox or measles, consider prophylactic passive immune therapy. Ulcerative colitis if perforation pending. Peptic ulcer. Diverticulitis. Intestinal anastomoses. Myasthenia gravis. Hypertension. Osteoporosis. Diabetes. Kaposi's sarcoma. Supplement with additional steroids in physiologic stress. Avoid abrupt cessation. May increase risk and mask signs of infection. May cause electrolyte imbalances, adrenocortical insufficiency, psychotic derangements. Alternate, intermittent, or single-daily doses at 8AM minimize adrenal suppression. Use lowest effective dose. Monitor weight, growth, fluid and electrolyte balance. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Barbiturates, hydantoins, rifampin, other hepatic enyzme inducers may decrease effects. Potentiated by ketoconazole, troleandomycin. Excretion of high-dose aspirin increased. Caution with diuretics, digoxin, aspirin in hypoprothrombinemia. Potentiated by oral contraceptives. Monitor oral anticoagulants.
HPA axis suppression, increased susceptibility to infection, glaucoma, cataracts, secondary infections, hypokalemia, hypocalcemia, hypernatremia, hypertension, CHF, psychic disorders, myopathy, osteoporosis, peptic ulcer, dermal atrophy, increased intracranial pressure, carbohydrate intolerance.
Soln—120mL, 500mL; Intensol—30mL (w. dropper)
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- "Impressive" CNS Responses With Osimertinib Compared With Standard EGFR-TKIs in Patients With CNS Metastases at Baseline
- Study Zeroes in on Cause of Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Higher Doses of Image-Guided Neoadjuvant Radiation Therapy Found to Be Safe in Locally Advanced NSCLC: Study
- Supply Shortages of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Found to Spur Drug Rationing in Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Epacadostat and Pembrolizumab Combo Active in Relapsed NSCLC
- PD-1 Inhibitor Cemiplimab Shows Antitumor Activity in Relapsed NSCLC