Generic Name and Formulations:
Primaquine phosphate 26.3mg (equivalent to 15mg base); tabs.
Indications for PRIMAQUINE:
For the radical cure (prevention of relapse) of vivax malaria.
1 tab daily for 14 days.
Severe G6PD deficiency. Acutely ill patients suffering from systemic disease manifested by tendency to granulocytopenia (eg, rheumatoid arthritis, SLE). Concomitant hemolytic or bone marrow suppressive drugs, quinacrine. Pregnancy.
Perform G6PD testing prior to initiation. Mild-to-moderate G6PD deficiency or unknown G6PD status: assess risk vs. benefit; if considered, monitor hbg/hct at baseline, at Days 3 and 8 of therapy; have medical support available. Discontinue if signs of hemolytic anemia occur. History of favism. Perform routine CBCs during therapy; in those with history of hemolytic anemia or nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NADH) methemoglobin reductase deficiency; monitor closely. Risk for QT prolongation in cardiac disease, long QT syndrome, history of ventricular arrhythmias, uncorrected hypokalemia and/or hypomagnesemia, or bradycardia (<50bpm); monitor ECG. Elderly. Females of reproductive potential should exclude pregnancy prior to initiation and use effective contraception during and after stopping treatment until completion of on-going ovulatory cycle; males should use condoms during and for 3 months after therapy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Caution with concomitant other drugs that prolong the QT interval.
Nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress, abdominal cramps, leukopenia, cardiac arrhythmia, dizziness, rash, pruritus.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Opioid Prescription Protocol Decreases Opioid Use After Gynecologic Surgery
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole May Be Active in Recurrent Endometrial Carcinoma
- Affordable Care Act Increased Percentage of Insured Patients With Gynecologic Cancers
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML