Generic Name and Formulations:
Nifedipine 10mg; caps.
Indications for PROCARDIA:
Vasospastic and chronic stable angina.
Initially 10mg three times daily, titrate over 7–14 days (for faster titration: see full labeling). Usual range 10–20mg three times daily; max 30mg/dose and 180mg/day.
Aortic stenosis. Severe obstructive coronary artery disease. Avoid administration within 1–2 weeks post MI or in acute coronary syndrome. Heart failure. GI narrowing/ulcers (tabs). Monitor blood pressure initially and during titration. Avoid abrupt cessation. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Severe hypotension, angina, and CHF possible with beta-blockers. Avoid concomitant phenytoin or CYP3A4 inducers; consider alternative antihypertensive therapy. Avoid concomitant grapefruit or grapefruit juice. Potentiated by CYP3A inhibitors (eg, fluconazole, itraconazole, clarithromycin, erythromycin, nefazodone, fluoxetine, saquinavir, indinavir, nelfinavir), or cimetidine; consider initiating nifedipine at lowest dose. Potentiates digoxin (monitor). Hypotension possible with fentanyl. GI obstruction possible with H2-blockers, opiates, NSAIDs, laxatives, anticholinergics, levothyroxine, neuromuscular blockers. Monitor oral anticoagulants, quinidine. Taper beta-blockers before initiating nifedipine.
Calcium channel blocker (CCB) (dihydropyridine).
Edema, dizziness, nausea, headache, flushing, weakness, hypotension, fatigue, constipation, palpitations, muscle cramps; rare: increased angina, acute MI, elevated enzymes.
Tabs 30mg, 60mg—100, 300; 90mg—100; Caps—100
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Erdafitinib Granted FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for Urothelial Carcinoma
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- NSCLC: Pretreatment Weight Loss May Be Linked to Socioeconomic Status
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Model May Identify Patients With Gastric Cancer Likely To Benefit From Chemotherapy