Prochlorperazine Suppositories Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Prochlorperazine Suppositories:
Severe nausea and vomiting.
Oral: 5–10mg 3–4 times daily; usual max 40mg/day. Rectal: 25mg twice daily.
<2yrs or <20lbs: not recommended. Oral: 20–29lbs: 2½mg once or twice daily; max 7.5mg/day. 30–39lbs: 2½mg 2–3 times daily; max 10mg/day. 40–85lbs: 2½mg 3 times daily or 5mg twice daily; max 15mg/day.
Coma. CNS depression. Pediatric surgery. Children <2yrs or <20lbs.
Discontinue 48 hrs before to 24 hrs after myelography. Cardiovascular disease. Epilepsy. Bone marrow depression. Reye's syndrome. Glaucoma. History of breast cancer. Exposure to extreme heat. Monitor blood, liver, and ocular function. Write ℞ using fractions rather than decimals. Children with acute illness or dehydration. Debilitated. Elderly. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Potentiates α-blockers. Levels of both drugs increased with propranolol. May potentiate phenytoin; monitor for toxicity. Adjust anticonvulsant doses. May antagonize oral anticoagulants. Hypotension potentiated with thiazide diuretics. Antagonized by anticholinergics. Decreases guanethidine effects. Monitor for neurologic toxicity with lithium; discontinue if occurs. May cause false (+) PKU test.
Drowsiness, dizziness, amenorrhea, blurred vision, other anticholinergic effects, skin reactions, hypotension, cholestatic jaundice, photosensitivity, leukopenia, agranulocytosis, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, agitation, insomnia, dystonias, extrapyramidal reactions, pseudoparkinsonism, tardive dyskinesia, may mask emetic signs of disease, lowered seizure threshold, EKG changes, aspiration, deep sleep, hyperprolactinemia, paradoxical excitement in children.
Formerly known under the brand name Compazine.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- "Impressive" CNS Responses With Osimertinib Compared With Standard EGFR-TKIs in Patients With CNS Metastases at Baseline
- Study Zeroes in on Cause of Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Higher Doses of Image-Guided Neoadjuvant Radiation Therapy Found to Be Safe in Locally Advanced NSCLC: Study
- Supply Shortages of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Found to Spur Drug Rationing in Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Epacadostat and Pembrolizumab Combo Active in Relapsed NSCLC
- PD-1 Inhibitor Cemiplimab Shows Antitumor Activity in Relapsed NSCLC