Promethazine HCl Rectal Suppositories Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Promethazine HCl 12.5mg, 25mg, 50mg.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Promethazine HCl Rectal Suppositories:
Motion sickness. Perioperative nausea & vomiting.
Motion sickness: 25mg 30–60mins before travel; may repeat in 8–12hrs; maintenance 25mg twice daily. Perioperative nausea & vomiting: 25mg; may give additional doses of 12.5–25mg at 4–6hr intervals.
<2yrs: see Contraindications. Motion sickness: ≥2yrs: 12.5–25mg twice daily. Perioperative nausea & vomiting: 0.5mg/lb or 25mg; may give additional doses of 12.5–25mg or 0.5mg/lb at 4–6hr intervals.
Children <2yrs. Dehydrated or ill children (esp. Reye's syndrome). History of sleep apnea. Asthma and lower respiratory disorders. Uncomplicated nausea in children.
Glaucoma. GI or urinary obstruction. Cardiovascular or liver disease. Seizure disorders. Peptic ulcer. Bone marrow depression. Elderly. Children ≥2yrs. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Potentiates CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Caution with MAOIs. May alter hCG pregnancy test results.
Drowsiness, lowered seizure threshold, cholestatic jaundice, anticholinergic and extrapyramidal effects, photosensitivity, hypo- or hypertension, rash, blood dyscrasias, nausea, neonatal platelet abnormalities; children: respiratory depression (may be fatal).
Formerly known under the brand names Phenergan (tabs, supps); Promethacon (supps).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- "Impressive" CNS Responses With Osimertinib Compared With Standard EGFR-TKIs in Patients With CNS Metastases at Baseline
- Study Zeroes in on Cause of Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Higher Doses of Image-Guided Neoadjuvant Radiation Therapy Found to Be Safe in Locally Advanced NSCLC: Study
- Supply Shortages of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Found to Spur Drug Rationing in Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Epacadostat and Pembrolizumab Combo Active in Relapsed NSCLC
- PD-1 Inhibitor Cemiplimab Shows Antitumor Activity in Relapsed NSCLC