Protamine sulfate Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Protamine sulfate 10mg/mL; soln for inj; preservative-free.
Fresenius Kabi USA
Indications for Protamine sulfate:
Treatment of heparin overdose.
Give by slow IV inj over 10 mins. Determine dose by coagulation studies; dose requirement decreases with time elapsed after heparin administration. 1mg neutralizes ≥100units of heparin; max 50mg/dose.
Avoid rapid administration. Fish allergy. Previous exposure to protamine (including insulin). Severe left ventricular dysfunction. Abnormal pulmonary hemodynamics. Previous vasectomy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Incompatible with certain antibiotics (eg, cephalosporins, penicillins).
Hypotension, bradycardia, transient flushing, feeling of warmth, dyspnea, GI upset, lassitude, pulmonary edema, anaphylaxis, cardiovascular collapse, pulmonary vasoconstriction, pulmonary hypertension.
Vial (5mL)—25; 25mL—1
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- "Impressive" CNS Responses With Osimertinib Compared With Standard EGFR-TKIs in Patients With CNS Metastases at Baseline
- Study Zeroes in on Cause of Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer
- Higher Doses of Image-Guided Neoadjuvant Radiation Therapy Found to Be Safe in Locally Advanced NSCLC: Study
- Supply Shortages of Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Found to Spur Drug Rationing in Non-Muscle-Invasive Bladder Cancer
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Epacadostat and Pembrolizumab Combo Active in Relapsed NSCLC
- PD-1 Inhibitor Cemiplimab Shows Antitumor Activity in Relapsed NSCLC