Protriptyline HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Protriptyline HCl 5mg, 10mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Protriptyline HCl:
15–40mg daily in 3–4 divided doses. Increase AM dose if needed; max 60mg daily. Elderly, adolescents: initially 5mg 3 times daily.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Concomitant cisapride. Acute post-MI.
Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults; monitor for clinical worsening or unusual changes. History of seizures. Urinary retention. Increased intraocular tension. Angle-closure glaucoma. Cardiovascular disorders. Bipolar disorder. Mania. Psychosis. ECT. Diabetes. Hyperthyroidism. Liver disorders. Discontinue prior to surgery. Poor metabolizers (CYP2D6). Avoid abrupt cessation. Avoid sun, UV light. Elderly (monitor cardiovascular effects over 20mg/day). Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
See Contraindications. Hyperpyretic crisis, convulsions, death with MAOIs. Avoid during or within 5 weeks of fluoxetine. Potentiates alcohol, CNS depressants. Blocks guanethidine. Paralytic ileus, hyperpyrexia with anticholinergics, neuroleptics. Potentiated by CYP2D6 inhibitors (eg, quinidine, phenothiazines, SSRIs, propafenone, flecainide); monitor with cimetidine. Adjust sympathomimetic, anticholinergic doses. Increased seizure risk with tramadol.
CNS, anticholinergic, or cardiovascular effects (eg, drowsiness, confusion, anxiety, tachycardia, hypotension), extrapyramidal symptoms, nausea, fatigue, rash, headache, changes in blood sugar, photosensitivity, edema, blood dyscrasias, sexual dysfunction, gynecomastia, liver dysfunction.
Formerly known under the brand name Vivactil.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Beyond BRCA: New Predisposition Genes Linked to Breast, Ovarian Cancers
- Despite Promising Trial Results, Skeptics Raise Red Flags About Anlotinib's Efficacy in Heavily Treated NSCLC
- Higher Risk of MGUS in Relatives of Patients With Multiple Myeloma Confirmed
- Brentuximab Vedotin Combo Active in Older Patients With Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Prostate Cancer Drug Resistance Mediated by Epigenetic Changes
- Nilotinib and Dasatinib Confer Similar Outcomes for Chronic-Phase CML