Genotyping, Other Clinical Variables May Predict Everolimus Treatment Effects
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
The PI3KCA gene polymorphism, lactate dehydrogenase (LDH), and histologic grade can predict the effects of everolimus treatment, while corrected calcium level and a PIK3CA gene variant may be independent prognostic factors in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma, a new study published online in the journal Annals of Oncology has shown.
For the prospective, single-arm, phase II trial, researchers sought to identify predictive and prognostic factors in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma treated with everolimus 10mg daily. Specifically, they evaluated potential biomarkers of the PI3K/AKT/mTOR pathway.
Results showed that histological grade G1/2 (HR = 2.68; 95% CI: 1.29-5.58; P = 0.0082), increased LDH before treatment (HR = 2.55; 95% CI: 1.30-4.99; P = 0.0064), and the PIK3CA gene variant rs6443624 (HR = 2.08; 95% CI: 1.11-3.89; P = 0.0254) were adverse independent predictors for everolimus treatment.
Researchers also found that elevated corrected calcium level (HR = 4.17; 95% CI: 1.66-10.51; P = 0.0024) and the PIK3CA gene variant rs6443624 (HR = 1.97; 95% CI: 1.02-3.79; P = 0.0421) may be independent prognostic factors.
The authors note that further prospective studies are warranted to confirm and validate these findings.
Genotyping can predict the effects of everolimus treatment in patients with metastatic renal cell carcinoma.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- As HPV-Related Cancer Rates Climb, Experts Scrutinize Barriers to HPV Vaccination
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- Duvelisib Delayed Progression in CLL/SLL: Study
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Immune-Related Adverse Events Due to Checkpoint Inhibition Are More Common in Melanoma Than in NSCLC
- Potential Diagnostic Tool Detects BCR-ABL1 mRNA in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- BTK Inhibitor Zanubrutinib Appears Promising in Waldenström Macroglobulinemia
- Carfilzomib Regimens Offer a Neuropathy-Sparing Approach in Multiple Myeloma, WM
- Apalutamide Does Not Diminish Quality of Life in Nonmetastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer