Ifosfamide for Treatment of Osteosarcoma Improves Limb Salvage Rate
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Osteosarcoma is a bone malignancy that occurs commonly in children and young adolescents. Some studies have shown that ifosfamide in combination with other chemotherapy agents improve prognostic outcomes in patients with high-grade osteosarcoma; however, other study results have concluded that ifosfamide’s efficacy was not significant.
Due to the controversy of ifosfamide’s effects, investigators sought to determine the efficacy of ifosfamide on neoadjuvant chemotherapy for patients with osteosarcoma of the extremity.
The investigators conducted a meta-analysis and systematic review of pooled data from randomized controlled trials, observing the association of ifosfamide therapy with the risk of histological response, survival rate, and other outcomes compared with the neoadjuvant chemotherapy without ifosfamide
There were 1,378 patients included in the meta-analysis. The analysis showed that the use of ifosfamide was not advantageous in the histological response to chemotherapy (cHR; OR 1.36; 95 % CI 0.90-2.03, P = 0.140), 5-year event-free survival (EFS; OR 1.16; 95 % CI 0.789-1.75, P = 0.464), and 5-year overall survival (OS; OR 1.06; 95 % CI 0.70-1.59, P = 0.794); however, there was an improved rate of limb salvage with ifosfamide (OR 4.06; 95 % CI 2.04-8.10, P < 0.001).
Although ifosfamide used in neoadjuvant chemotherapy for extremity osteosarcoma might not be effective for cHR, EFS, and OS, its efficacy to increase the rate of limb salvage suggests that ifosfamide could increase the success rate of limb salvage operation.
The investigators conclude that ifosfamide is an effective therapy method for osteosarcoma, but further studies are necessary to reassess the conclusion and to determine the optimal combination therapy.
Osteosarcoma is a bone malignancy that occurs commonly in children and young adolescents.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- As HPV-Related Cancer Rates Climb, Experts Scrutinize Barriers to HPV Vaccination
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- Duvelisib Delayed Progression in CLL/SLL: Study
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Using ctDNA to Predict Cancer Recurrence and Guide Therapy Selection
- Immune-Related Adverse Events Due to Checkpoint Inhibition Are More Common in Melanoma Than in NSCLC
- Potential Diagnostic Tool Detects BCR-ABL1 mRNA in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia
- BTK Inhibitor Zanubrutinib Appears Promising in Waldenström Macroglobulinemia
- Carfilzomib Regimens Offer a Neuropathy-Sparing Approach in Multiple Myeloma, WM