Radiation, Chemotherapy with Surgery for Localized Chest Wall Sarcoma Beneficial
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
According to a new study published in the American Journal of Clinical Oncology, researchers at University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle, Washington, have found that the addition of radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or both to surgery improves outcomes for patients with localized chest wall sarcoma.
For the single-institution study, researchers sought to investigate the 20-year experience of the impact on outcome of radiotherapy and chemotherapy in the treatment of localized chest wall sarcomas at a single institution.
They retrospectively analyzed data from 65 patients with stage 2B and 3 chest wall sarcomas. Results showed that compared with surgery alone, disease-free survival improved by 92% with the addition of radiotherapy and by 82% with the addition of chemotherapy at both 5 and 10 years.
Furthermore, the addition of both radiotherapy and chemotherapy to surgery improved disease-free survival by 89% and 90% at 5 and 10 years, respectively.
Researchers also found that the addition of either radiotherapy or chemotherapy, or both, improved overall survival, but the greatest improvement was observed in patients that received chemotherapy and radiotherapy with surgery.
The findings suggest that the addition of radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or both to surgery should be strongly considered in patients with localized chest wall sarcoma, but larger studies are necessary to determine which populations would benefit most from both radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
Addition of radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or both to surgery improves outcomes for patients with localized chest wall sarcoma.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- As HPV-Related Cancer Rates Climb, Experts Scrutinize Barriers to HPV Vaccination
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- Duvelisib Delayed Progression in CLL/SLL: Study
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Lenalidomide Induces Immunity, Produces Clinical Response in CLL
- Comorbidities Signal Worse Outcomes in CLL After Targeted Treatment
- Using ctDNA to Predict Cancer Recurrence and Guide Therapy Selection
- Immune-Related Adverse Events Due to Checkpoint Inhibition Are More Common in Melanoma Than in NSCLC
- Potential Diagnostic Tool Detects BCR-ABL1 mRNA in Chronic Myeloid Leukemia