Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxepin (as HCl) 3mg, 6mg; tabs.
Indications for SILENOR:
Treatment of insomnia characterized by difficulty with sleep maintenance.
Individualize. Take within 30mins of bedtime. Do not take within 3 hours of a meal. Initially 6mg once daily. Max: 6mg/day. Elderly, hepatic impairment, tendency to urinary retention: initially 3mg once daily.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Untreated narrow angle glaucoma. Severe urinary retention.
Evaluate for co-morbid diagnoses (eg, physical or psychiatric disorders) prior to treatment. Reevaluate if insomnia persists after 7–10 days of use. Monitor for new onset behavioral changes, worsening of depression, or suicidal thinking. Hepatic impairment. Respiratory dysfunction. Severe sleep apnea: not recommended. Poor metabolizers (those with reduced CYP2D6/2C19 activity). Reevaluate periodically. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
H1 receptor antagonist.
Additive effects with concomitant CNS depressants, antihistamines, or alcohol (avoid); reduce dose. Potentiated by cimetidine. Possible hypoglycemia with tolazamide.
Somnolence, sedation, nausea, upper respiratory tract infection, dizziness, photosensitivity, skin rash; abnormal thinking, behavioral changes, complex behaviors, sleep-driving (discontinue if occurs), amnesia, anxiety, other neuro-psychiatric symptoms.
Tabs—30, 100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Genetic Counseling Recommended for Advanced Prostate Cancer
- BRCA1/Shieldin Double Mutations May Signal Resistance to PARP Inhibitors
- Study Analyzing Postmarketing Data on Breast Implant Safety Sparks FDA Response
- Higher-Dose Immunoglobulin Replacement Therapy in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia
- Beyond BRCA: New Predisposition Genes Linked to Breast, Ovarian Cancers
- Despite Promising Trial Results, Skeptics Raise Red Flags About Anlotinib's Efficacy in Heavily Treated NSCLC
- Higher Risk of MGUS in Relatives of Patients With Multiple Myeloma Confirmed
- Brentuximab Vedotin Combo Active in Older Patients With Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Prostate Cancer Drug Resistance Mediated by Epigenetic Changes
- Nilotinib and Dasatinib Confer Similar Outcomes for Chronic-Phase CML