Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxepin (as HCl) 3mg, 6mg; tabs.
Indications for SILENOR:
Treatment of insomnia characterized by difficulty with sleep maintenance.
Individualize. Take within 30mins of bedtime. Do not take within 3 hours of a meal. Initially 6mg once daily. Max: 6mg/day. Elderly, hepatic impairment, tendency to urinary retention: initially 3mg once daily.
During or within 14 days of MAOIs. Untreated narrow angle glaucoma. Severe urinary retention.
Evaluate for co-morbid diagnoses (eg, physical or psychiatric disorders) prior to treatment. Reevaluate if insomnia persists after 7–10 days of use. Monitor for new onset behavioral changes, worsening of depression, or suicidal thinking. Hepatic impairment. Respiratory dysfunction. Severe sleep apnea: not recommended. Poor metabolizers (those with reduced CYP2D6/2C19 activity). Reevaluate periodically. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Additive effects with concomitant CNS depressants, antihistamines, or alcohol (avoid); reduce dose. Potentiated by cimetidine. Possible hypoglycemia with tolazamide.
H1 receptor antagonist.
Somnolence, sedation, nausea, upper respiratory tract infection, dizziness, photosensitivity, skin rash; abnormal thinking, behavioral changes, complex behaviors, sleep-driving (discontinue if occurs), amnesia, anxiety, other neuro-psychiatric symptoms.
Tabs—30, 100, 500
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Erdafitinib Granted FDA Breakthrough Therapy Designation for Urothelial Carcinoma
- NSCLC: Stratifying Patients With Complex EGFR Mutations
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- NSCLC: Pretreatment Weight Loss May Be Linked to Socioeconomic Status
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Model May Identify Patients With Gastric Cancer Likely To Benefit From Chemotherapy