First Oncolytic Immunotherapy Improves Durable Response Rate in Melanoma
the Cancer Therapy Advisor take:
Talimogene laherparepvec (T-VEC) is the first oncolytic immunotherapy to demonstrate therapeutic benefit against melanoma in a phase III clinical trial, a new study published online early in the Journal of Clinical Oncology has shown.
For the study, researchers enrolled 436 patients with injectable melanoma that was not surgically resectable and randomly assigned them 2:1 to intralesional T-VEC or subcutaneous granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF).
Results showed that the durable response rate was 16.3% (95% CI: 12.1-20.5) and 2.1% (95% CI: 0-4.5) in the T-VEC and GM-CSF groups, respectively (OR = 8.9; P < 0.001). In addition, median overall survival was 23.3 months (95% CI: 19.5-29.6) with T-VEC and 18.9 months (95% CI: 16.0-23.7) with GM-CSF (HR = 0.79; 95% CI: 0.62-1.00; P = 0.051).
Researchers found that T-VEC was particularly effective in patients with treatment-naive disease and in patients with stage IIIB, IIIC, or IVM1a melanoma.
In regard to safety, the most common adverse events associated with T-VEC treatment were fatigue, chills, and pyrexia.
T-VEC is a herpes simplex virus type 1-derived oncolytic immunotherapy ultimately designed to enhance systemic antitumor immune response.
Talimogene laherparepvec is the first oncolytic immunotherapy to demonstrate therapeutic benefit against melanoma.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Plastics and Cancer
- Real-World Study Shows High Response Rates to T-VEC in Early Metastatic Melanoma
- Cabozantinib Shows Promising Activity in Osteosarcoma and Ewing Sarcoma
- Using ctDNA to Predict Cancer Recurrence and Guide Therapy Selection
- Are Next-Gen Antibody-Drug Conjugates a Path Forward for Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma and Myeloma?
- First-Line Alectinib Effective in Asian Patients With ALK-Positive Advanced NSCLC
- Pembrolizumab Alone or With Chemotherapy Prolongs OS in Recurrent/Metastatic HNSCC
- Pembrolizumab With Dabrafenib and Trametinib Shows Efficacy, But High TRAEs, in Melanoma
- Assays May Help Researchers Discover Factors Underlying Immunotherapy Response
- Atezolizumab Combo Improved PFS, OS in Stage IV Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer