Generic Name and Formulations:
Nateglinide 60mg, 120mg; tabs.
Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp
Indications for STARLIX:
Adjunct to diet and exercise to improve glycemic control in adults with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treatment of type 1 diabetes or diabetic ketoacidosis.
Take 1–30mins before meals; skip dose if meal is skipped. 120mg 3 times daily. If near glycemic goal, initially 60mg 3 times daily.
Increased risk of hypoglycemia with changes in physical activity, meal patterns, renal or hepatic impairment: monitor glucose more frequently and may need to adjust dose. Reduced symptomatic awareness of hypoglycemia in longstanding diabetes, diabetic nerve disease, or recurrent hypoglycemia. Moderate-to-severe hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Increased hypoglycemia with concomitant other antidiabetic agents, NSAIDs, salicylates, MAOIs, non-selective β-blockers, anabolic hormones, guanethidine, and CYP2C9 inhibitors (eg, amiodarone, fluconazole, voriconazole, sulfinpyrazone), alcohol; may need dose reduction and monitor. May be antagonized by thiazides, corticosteroids, thyroid products, sympathomimetics, somatropin, somatostatin analogs (eg, lanreotide, octreotide), and CYP inducers (eg, rifampin, phenytoin, St John's Wort); may need dose increase and monitor. β-blockers, clonidine, guanethidine, reserpine may mask hypoglycemia.
Upper RTI, back pain, flu symptoms, dizziness, arthropathy, diarrhea; hypoglycemia, weight gain.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- Nicotinamide and Cancer
- Opioid Prescription Protocol Decreases Opioid Use After Gynecologic Surgery
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole May Be Active in Recurrent Endometrial Carcinoma
- Affordable Care Act Increased Percentage of Insured Patients With Gynecologic Cancers
- Everolimus Plus Letrozole: An Effective First-Line Therapy for Advanced Breast Cancer
- FDA Approves Nilotinib for Pediatric Patients With CML