Generic Name and Formulations:
Thiothixene 1mg, 2mg, 5mg, 10mg; caps.
Indications for Thiothixene:
Individualize. Mild: initially 2mg three times daily, may subsequently increase to 15mg/day. Severe: initially 5mg twice daily. Usual optimal dose: 20–30mg daily; if needed, may increase to max 60mg/day.
Circulatory collapse. Coma. CNS depression. Blood dyscrasias.
Increased mortality in elderly patients with dementia-related psychosis.
Elderly with dementia-related psychosis (not approved use): increased risk of death. History of convulsive disorders or alcohol withdrawal. Exposure to extreme heat. Cardiovascular disease. Pre-existing low WBC or history of drug induced leukopenia/neutropenia; monitor CBCs during 1st few months of treatment. If significant neutropenia occurs; monitor for fever and signs of infections; discontinue if ANC<1000/mm3. Hepatic impairment. Neonates: risk of extrapyramidal and/or withdrawal symptoms post delivery (due to exposure during 3rd-trimester pregnancy). Pregnancy.
Additive effects with hypotensive agents, CNS depressants and alcohol. Potentiates barbiturates. Antagonized by carbamazepine. Caution with concomitant atropine or related drugs.
Tardive dyskinesia, hypotension, drowsiness, insomnia, jaundice, blood dyscrasias, may mask emetic signs of overdosage or disease, lowered seizure threshold, rash, photosensitivity, hyperprolactinemia, anticholinergic effects, pigmentary retinopathy, lenticular pigmentation, extrapyramidal reactions, neuroleptic malignant syndrome (monitor).
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- As HPV-Related Cancer Rates Climb, Experts Scrutinize Barriers to HPV Vaccination
- Bowel Preparation for Colorectal Cancer Screening: Improving Outcomes
- Tool for Assessing Frailty Predicts Survival in Newly Diagnosed Multiple Myeloma
- Analysis Supports Flat Dose of Nivolumab 480 mg Every 4 Weeks
- FDA-Approved Breast Cancer Drug Treatments
- A Trained Dog Smells Early-Stage Lung Cancer With a High Degree of Accuracy
- FDA-Approved Prostate Cancer Drug Treatments
- FDA-Approved Colorectal Cancer Drug Treatments
- Synthetic or Plant-Based Cannabis for Symptom Relief in Patients With Cancer: Do We Have Any Evidence?
- Role of miR-125a-5p Clarified in Bladder Cancer
- Bladder Cancer Clinical Features Linked to EGFR and HER-2 Expression
- Ponatinib Tops Bosutinib for Third-Line Treatment of CML in a Comparative Analysis
- A Vegan Diet and Cancer
- The Optimal Neoadjuvant Regimen of Checkpoint Inhibitors in High-Risk Melanoma Is Unclear