Generic Name and Formulations:
Ticarcillin disodium 3g; IM or IV inj; sodium content 5.2–6.5mEq/g.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ticarcillin:
Susceptible bacterial septicemia, respiratory or urinary tract, skin and soft tissue, gynecologic, intraabdominal infections.
UTI: 1g IM or IV every 6 hours. Systemic: 150–300mg/kg/day IV in divided doses every 4–6 hours. Max IM 2g per inj. In more severe infections use higher doses by IV route.
Neonates <2kg: 75mg/kg every 12 hours until 7 days old, then 75mg/kg every 8 hours. >2kg: 75mg/kg every 8 hours until 7 days old, then 100mg/kg every 8 hours. Others <40kg: UTI: 50–100mg/kg/day IM or IV in divided doses every 6–8 hours. Systemic: 150–300mg/kg/day IV in divided doses every 4–6 hours. >40kg: as adult.
Cephalosporin, imipenem, or other allergy: not recommended. Renal impairment, reduce dose (see literature) and monitor for bleeding disorders. Heart disease. Sodium restricted diets. Monitor serum electrolytes (esp. potassium) and renal, hepatic, hematopoietic function during prolonged therapy. Pregnancy.
Potentiated by probenecid.
Inj site reactions, rash, pruritus, drug fever, GI upset, blood dyscrasias, hemorrhage, hypokalemia, anaphylaxis, CNS stimulation, elevated liver enzymes.
Formerly known under the brand name Ticar.
Sign Up for Free e-newsletters
Regimen and Drug Listings
GET FULL LISTINGS OF TREATMENT Regimens and Drug INFORMATION
|Head and Neck Cancer||Regimens||Drugs|
|Renal Cell Carcinoma||Regimens||Drugs|
Cancer Therapy Advisor Articles
- Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma — In the Clinic
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors for NSCLC: Current and Future Approaches
- Can A Consortium of Hospitals Help To Reduce Drug Prices?
- Clostridium Difficile Infection in Patients With Cancer — In the Clinic
- 5α-Reductase Inhibitors Do Not Increase Risk of High-Grade Prostate Cancer
- FDA Approves Front-Line Brentuximab Vedotin Plus Chemotherapy for Hodgkin Lymphoma
- NSCLC: Pretreatment Weight Loss May Be Linked to Socioeconomic Status
- Targeted and Immunotherapies for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma
- Atezolizumab, Carboplatin, Nab-Paclitaxel Combination Prolongs PFS in NSCLC
- Model May Identify Patients With Gastric Cancer Likely To Benefit From Chemotherapy